free website stats program immobiliser and lights | Harley Davidson Forums

immobiliser and lights

TomH65

Can anyone tell me if the immobiliser on a XL1200R be disabled, or how to do it?
Every time I move the bike the turn signals start to flash until I press the keyfob button twice to turn it off. Problem is, after just a few seconds it resets itself, this just uses battery power, then the starter turns very slowly when I try to start the engine.
Also, is there an OFF switch available that can be fitted to turn off the headlamp?
Regards,
Tom

Tom, The immobilizer should take very little power when in armed/standby mode.(25 MA)
It sounds like you have an unrelated problem pulling down the battery. Security is part of the turn signal module. (TSM vs TSSM and I don't believe you can turn it off?)

Also, is there an OFF switch available that can be fitted to turn off the headlamp?
Regards,
Tom
Why would you want to turn the headlight off?
Required after a certain year.
Also helps you to be seen.
Running without a HL isn't cool.

My guess, probably just for for starting in order to direct that extra power to the starter motor. (?)

If a bike is newer than a 92 the lights have to be on when the engine is running the easiest way to achieve that is to have them on with the ignition switch
if you want to not have the lights on you will need to get an older bike

Brian

I have installed a toggle switch in the headlight bucket on a few bikes and wired it into the black ground wire for the light. This will turn off the headlight and put less draw on the battery at low speeds or if you are working on the bike. It may not be legal in your area to run with the light off.

On the earlier bikes there was a jumper wire on the back of the ignition switch that you can remove and it would put the light out until you were on the ignition position. There was an additional position on the ignition switch just for ignition without lights.

Put a toggle on my '94, like Hoople said just for starting. I don't understand why on the newer bikes there is not some type of delay built in to the lights.

I don't understand why on the newer bikes there is not some type of delay built in to the lights.

Probably because it would be something that could go wrong and the lights may not come on at all

Brian

Thanks guys for all your comments.
Here in the UK you can ride with the lights off in daylight. I wanted to switch them off so they don't drain the battery while I am working on the bike. Also I have to switch the ignition on while pushing it, so the turn signals don't keep flashing preventing the immobiliser resetting itself.
The toggle switch sounds a good idea, I will look into that, thanks.
As this is my first Harley, I don't want to mess anything up and more importantly, I don't want to be annoyed at it for not starting in the winter months like my last Japanese bike that always let me down.:cheers

Thanks guys for all your comments.
Here in the UK you can ride with the lights off in daylight. I wanted to switch them off so they don't drain the battery while I am working on the bike. Also I have to switch the ignition on while pushing it, so the turn signals don't keep flashing preventing the immobiliser resetting itself.
The toggle switch sounds a good idea, I will look into that, thanks.
As this is my first Harley, I don't want to mess anything up and more importantly, I don't want to be annoyed at it for not starting in the winter months like my last Japanese bike that always let me down.:cheers

I have just invested in a Haynes manual for the sportster, so it will make things a bit easier.

I have been disappointed with the Haynes manuals over the last 15 years or so my sportster manual from Haynes covers far to many models is is pretty well useless
i prefer to use the clymer manuals there is a lot of relevant info in them and good colour wiring diagrams although i have invested in the HD manual also for some of my bikes i prefer to use the clymer ones

Brian

Back