free website stats program I'm baffled by this oil drip! | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm baffled by this oil drip!

Z-Man747200

Hey Folks. I have an '07 Ultra, bone stock with 32,000 miles. Great bike. During my last oil change (at 30,000) about an ounce of oil burped out of the bottle and missed the funnel going onto the engine. Since then I have been getting the expected drips on the garage floor but I would have thought that after 2,000 miles, the spilt oil would have burned off or otherwise been eliminated (to my garage floor). Now the confusing part (to me at least). Also since the last oil change, the pressure during warm up seems a bit higher than normal. When cold it is ranging between about 42 - 50 on the gauge but settles down to about 32 psi after about 10 minutes. I have noticed some oil in the air filter cover that is a recent change too. What gives? I'm open to suggestions. The oil is HD synthetic and I've used it before with no issues. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Maybe you over filled? I have been told that if you over fill it will blow out the air filter and splatter on the pipes. Every once in awhile I get some very small droplets of oil on the pipes. I would wash off the bottom of the bike real good using simple green. The drip should stop unless you have a leak some place.

Check the self help section for oil pump realignment:s

Another thing you will find in the self help section is that if you blindly put all four quarts in, you are more than likely overfull in the crankcase. I know mine is about 3 1/2 qts and from what I have read, that seems to be pretty common. We can dig further, but check your oil level first and we will continue from there.

As for the oil drip, that's a tough one. As we all know from trying to wash these things, there are so many nooks and crannys that we can't even see where the oil could be hiding.

Thanks guys. Dipstick shows just a hair under full so I'm not sure if volume is the answer. I'll take a look again through the self help tips and see if I find enlightenment.

Yes that seems high for cold. I have noticed since I run my oil slightly below half on a cold check my problems with pushing oil into the air filter through head vents had quit too. I hope that's all thats wrong for you.

Back