free website stats program Ignition key woes | Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition key woes

Gold4484

Contributor
As of yesterday, my 07 'bob' was great! Went to turn the key, and would not turn. I fiddled around with it, by spraying some good ol WD-40 in it, but only turns when it wants to. I HAD toyed with the idea of changing dash board, but really haven't found what I was looking for in the search here. Talks about a few changeovers, but was wondering around how much the dealer would charge. To either repair or replace the existing problem, or spend the $ and get a different dash. I tell ya....when you have a wrist that doesn't work that great and try to fumble with the key on the down tube, it gets downright aggravating.
R-D could really come up with a better idea. Plus, what dash off of what model would fit on an 07 'bob'? I KNOW....the dealer can probably tell me....but here it is 8:30 at night, and you folks know better than the dealers. ANY info would be appreciated !
I tell ya....starting to get frustrating and expensive to keep adapting my bike to suit my injury plagued body ! ! :bigsmiley15:
THANKS
BRIAN

The good news is, I bought a new Willie G. key (get it from the dealer, all you need is your key # and VIN #), info showing you are the proper owner of the bike. 3 weeks later the key arrived and it was perfect. BTW I also found that one of my set of old keys worked fine in 1 direction rather the other, and on my Sporty one worked better for the Lock and have to flip it over to work the Ignition switch without sticking.

So do check all your keys before you diagnose your lock cylinder pins or tumblers are worn out. And while the brass pins in the locking assembly may be worn, by the time you get all the business apart, it may be best to replace it with proper new complete assembly, keyed with same key code as your original key, then fiddling with worn pins, tumblers and such at an expensive locksmith. Good Luck and tell us how you resolve the issue.

The good news is, I bought a new Willie G. key (get it from the dealer, all you need is your key # and VIN #), info showing you are the proper owner of the bike. 3 weeks later the key arrived and it was perfect. BTW I also found that one of my set of old keys worked fine in 1 direction rather the other, and on my Sporty one worked better for the Lock and have to flip it over to work the Ignition switch without sticking.

So do check all your keys before you diagnose your lock cylinder pins or tumblers are worn out. And while the brass pins in the locking assembly may be worn, by the time you get all the business apart, it may be best to replace it with proper new complete assembly, keyed with same key code as your original key, then fiddling with worn pins, tumblers and such at an expensive locksmith. Good Luck and tell us how you resolve the issue.

ALL 3 of my keys are the same. They only work at times. I HAVE to ask....what is a Willie G key? I googled it and didn't find anything.

Try Drag Specilities
Much cheaper then HD and works. I have installed one of these in a friends bike. Pretty much plug and play. Fit like a glove. Comes with 2 keys. Total cost around $35 for the one I purchased.

It is Chrome Skull Key patterned after Willie G. HD accessories...
WillieGKey.jpg

I read about a fellow who changed his street bob ignition for a dyna wide glide dash ignition - it looked great.

Dyna BOB Ignition switch swap - Harley Davidson Community

It was Cdn-bigfoot who did the ignition swap. Nice work.

Heh. Thanks.
I LOVE my new dash and switch. Only problem is I bought an aftermarket switch from Midwest Motorcycle supply and haven't been able to track down spare keys..... yet. I got 2 keys with the switch. I usually like to have 3 or more.:newsmile016:

To duplicate a key you have to find a good "blank" and have it patterned by a good locksmith. Expensive?...varies, some locksmiths have a good selection, and some provide excellent service...at a price. Happy hunting, should not be a problem...money and time :newsmile040:

As a slight aside,i rotate all my Vehicle keys so the locks and keys dont become mis-matched due to wear.It's bad when you lose a key,and the brand new,never used one won't fit.

I agree with biscuit on the side issue. Rotating your key usage really makes a lot of sense. Years ago, I got stuck trying to use a new key in a worn lock and finally got it to work, but thought I was going to be burned. Since then I rotate at the spring time change, when I change the batteries in my smoke alarms.

Back