free website stats program ignition fuse blowing | Harley Davidson Forums

ignition fuse blowing

pegleg316

i know this might have been asked before. just installed a aquatic stereo in a friends 05 ultra classic nice plug n play unit and have put this in my own bike no issues. on my friends bike all installed he came to pick it up got quarter mile away blew ignition fuse. pushed it back i went through the bike checked connections tightened up what i saw and cleaned up some wiring in battery area. bike will idle for as long as you want put as soon as you put it in gear and start to ride it blows igintion fuse. any ideas would be helpfull

been through that twice found one bare and a few lose connections from were he had put his battery in half ass but still blowing fuse i,ll keep looking

Recheck all the wiring, most likely a short somewhere along the way. JMHO.
the problem is actually on the same bike in your pic 05 ultra classic

Last edited by a moderator:
been through that twice found one bare and a few lose connections from were he had put his battery in half ass but still blowing fuse i,ll keep looking[/QUOTE

My guess is the vibration when in gear and moving is causing a wire to rub and short out. If it was fine before the install it only makes sense the culprit is a pinched or bare wire shorting out and blowing the fuse.

Does the stereo have an amp also? On my Kenwood that I installed with a 100 watt amp (separate) They recommend 10 gauge wire. Does it have a in line fuse on the wire going to ignition? 1 hot to bat and 1 hot wire to ignition.....both should have in line fuses. Does it blow the fuse only if you turn up the volume?

Does the stereo have an amp also? On my Kenwood that I installed with a 100 watt amp (separate) They recommend 10 gauge wire. Does it have a in line fuse on the wire going to ignition? 1 hot to bat and 1 hot wire to ignition.....both should have in line fuses. Does it blow the fuse only if you turn up the volume?
yes has both amps those fuses fine ignition fuse keeps blowing when you put bike in gear and ride.

right now i have battery out on charge going through all my wiring and taking care of what anyone else may have done

Last edited by a moderator:
Back