free website stats program Iginition Problem? Need Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

Iginition Problem? Need Help!

ndsporty

I have a 03 1200 sportster custom and am having ignition/ fuel issues. The bike runs good when you get out the road with it but will not idle in town very well. It pops at slow speed and throttle. On occasion it will die on the highway and not fire again for a while and then start but not run good at all. This is a hit and miss issue and myself nor the local dealer can figure this out. Any help would be great.

Oh yeah the mods are High flow air filter, aftermarket slip ons ( not sure which make), and jet kit ( recently installed at local harley dealer).

Thanks for any help!
Tyler

I have a 03 1200 sportster custom and am having ignition/ fuel issues. The bike runs good when you get out the road with it but will not idle in town very well. It pops at slow speed and throttle. On occasion it will die on the highway and not fire again for a while and then start but not run good at all. This is a hit and miss issue and myself nor the local dealer can figure this out. Any help would be great.

Oh yeah the mods are High flow air filter, aftermarket slip ons ( not sure which make), and jet kit ( recently installed at local harley dealer).

Thanks for any help!
Tyler

coil? wrong jets? fuel filter? What have you & HD shop checked??

Have you ruled out a "recently installed" carb jet kit? How did it run prior to the latest modifications? Good luck.

I see your concerns on the jets but they were to try cure the problem and helped some so still not sure anyone thinking ignition module? Let me know appreciate any help!

Not knowing when the problem 1st surfaced, I would be sure to check and make sure you are getting a good ground connection from the battery. I would then move to the Carb and using WD-40, start the engine and check for vacuum leaks by spraying the backside of the carb and intake manifold and listen for change in engine rpm. If this does not yield the problem, I would look inside the carb and make sure that the float is at the proper level and that the low speed idle jet is clean.

A longshot is to be sure that your gas cap is venting properly.

Hope you find your problem.

Back