free website stats program Ideas for 2-3 day trip in Northern Utah in April | Harley Davidson Forums

Ideas for 2-3 day trip in Northern Utah in April

alarman

Greetings!
I have certainly enjoyed lurking here, and benefiting from the experience of all of you. I appreciate you all very much.

My wife and I will be caging it to Salt Lake City UT from San Diego in late April for my son's wedding. Riding the RK is out since we have too much stuff to carry, and I'm not sure she would do too well on the back of that bike on a 500 mile ride anyway. However, I have heard there are some beautiful rides up there, and have thought about renting a bike in Salt Lake and riding a couple of days after the wedding before we come home.

Looking for open roads, and beautiful country, Any ideas? I came down US 191 coming back from Sturgis last year, and saw Arches NP and Monument Valley, and it was outstanding. That was August though, I'm a little unsure about the weather in northern Utah in April.

I'm sure someone living around Salt Lake can tell you more about the weather than I can but I have taken a few rides through Utah in the last few years. Just a few miles south of Provo is the turn off to Hwy 6 to Green River,(137 mi), head west on I-70 for 8miles or so and go south on 24. You will end up going through Capitol Reef Nat Park.(approx 80 mi from green R ) If you keep going on 24 you will come out at 89 just north of Richfield and can head back to SLC on 89. If you have a little more time, take the turn off for Hwy 12 just 10 mi past the visitor centre in Capitol Reef Park and head south. This is a great ride and a side trip to Bryce Canyon is well worth the extra time.Hwy 12 joins 89 where you can head north back to SLC (approx 260 mi.) I think this loop would be around 600 miles, which could be done in a relaxing 3 days and give you time to look at Bryce Canyon. Hwy 12 from Capitol Reef to Bryce Canyon is one of my favorite rides. Elevation can get fairly high on both Hwy 6 and 12, so you will have to dress warm.

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I have heard good things about hwy 12 before, think I will check it out.
Jack

Back