free website stats program idears on how to remove spray paint ? | Harley Davidson Forums

idears on how to remove spray paint ?

kiwiHD

Hey guys
Im still kinda new to the Hd scene but any ways
About a month age i had a problem with the tranz on my 96superglide just got it out of the shed for summer and it snaped the weld on the shifter arm on the in side of the tranz so she was sitting down at work in the workshop so the boss could give me a bit of a had fixing it and shes all fixed now yay.

my problem now is when it was in the workshop this (EDIT) noks i work with did sum spray painting and now i have a white dust coat all over a black and chrome bike.
Apart from tearing strips off him till he was almost crying (ooops)
and telling him hes paying the cost of getting it sorted what would be the best way to get the paint off ?

thanks for any help

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a rubbing compound. You can try a fine hand buff or a madium machine polish. When the overspray is off and the paint has a shiny lustre don't leave it hand rub a protectant on it .I use liquid glass. Then use Pledge (that was for you Glider):D

More than likely it was enamel paint so you are lucky there. Lacquer paint is being phased out if it was spray cans.

Use some mineral spirits on a rag and it should remove it without any damage.

Like Steve said, use some Pledge after it's off.:s

I had almost the same thing happen to my wife's car. The neighbors decided to paint their house on a windy day. A friend of mine who paints cars told my to dilute some pain thinner with water and it would take the over spray right off. it worked very well. when I did it I use 1 part paint thinner and 3 parts water, dipped a rag in the mixture and wiped off the over spray. then immediately washed wiped area with a wet soapy towel. then I gave her a new wax job and she was shiny as new. If the paint thinner doesn't sound like a good Idea to you, you might try the turtle wax rubbing compound in the green container, not the red and see how that works. I've use that with success for removing over spray also. I does require a bit more time and elbow grease though.

400 steel wool on everything but painted surface. Mineral spirits for painted surface. If you hava a dusty deer head mount,,400 steel wool on him too,, yea I Know,, but once you go 400 steel wool, you don't go back.

Back