free website stats program Iac | Harley Davidson Forums

Iac

Drumrguy

Account Removed
Can someone please explain what this does and how it works, I think I know but want to check. Thanks everyone.

Idle Air Control - An electric valve that's threaded, one turn of the valve is called a "step." It's controlled by output signals from the ECM to open and close as needed to allow enough air into the engine for starting and idle operation. (Throttle closed) The more steps, the greater the amount of air enters the engine through the IAC passages. It's that ugly looking black thing you can see just inside and over the top of the air cleaner.

It is a device that always a "Calibrated leak" to enter the intake manifold. Think of it as a needle valve that is allowing air to enter the manifold. When you inject air, the idle will increase in RPM. In most cases it is a stepper motor that is driven by the ECM. There is a limit to the amount of air that can be injected,
hence a Limit to the RPM that can be regulated.

Glider you are FAST!
I bet you have all this stuff with a Copy & Paste!!

Ok, with that being said, if that was malfunctioning, it could open or close to much and make the bike stall? And could that contribute to some decell pop, maybe if it was making it a little to lean, am I in the ball park? :33:

As far as stalling, absolutely. Don't know about the popping. I would fix one problem at a time.

But the fact that you say all is well when the bike is cold, tells me it may be working.

Very possible on both counts, definitely stalling. Have you tried a spray can of carb cleaner and clean the port out at the 12 o'clock position in the intake?

Glider, not yet, getting bike back tomorrow morning. When I come to s stop the bike stalls, the G.M. of the dealer rode it Wed. morning and no stall, but it was a little below 40 degrees, so I talked to another dealer who looked at it, he suggested changing the IAC just like everyone here, they are really jerking me around at the dealer where I bought it, so we will see what happens when I change it tomorrow morning. And you think I should clean the top of the intake? Thought they would have done that when the motor was built but maybe not. I just want the stalling to stop.

I just want the stalling to stop.

Well the stop is worse than the stalling :D

More than likely a good cleaning will do the trick. Just don't run the motor before all the cleaner evaporates or even better put a rag behind the IAC port to prevent the cleaner from hitting the sensors or you set a code if it gets on the sensors and you start up before it dries. You can also blow the intake dry with some low pressure air.

Some dealers just don't know the finer points.

I think I am going to clean the intake out real good, change the IAC, and test ride. Hopefully I see an improvement. I am very unhappy with the dealer.

he suggested changing the IAC just like everyone here,

I'm not. Just explaining what it does.

I have to admit 1 thing. I figured the IAC motor for my bike would be out of sight $ wise but it wasn't. $35 is cheap if you ask me. I was surprised. For that price it makes me want to buy 1 just to have on hand.:p

Back