free website stats program IAC and Intake Air Temp. Sensor | Harley Davidson Forums

IAC and Intake Air Temp. Sensor

Drumrguy

Account Removed
Does anyone know if there is a way to test these. My bike does not seem to stall when it is cool out. I am looking in the service manual and it does not show a way to test unless I am missing it. Thanks guys. :s

I am not trying to tell you what to do but you need to learn to use your SERT.
There is a Data screen when you use your SERT that gives you direct readings off those 2 devices.

But to answer your original question, there is no easy bench test for the IAC motor. The air temp sensor I believe is a simple thermistor that you may be able to check with an ohm meter.
If I am following your troubleshooting path, you really want to check the cylinder head temp sensor. That tells the ECM to step the IAC and adjust for idle. Air intake temp helps to control pulse width on the injectors which is not going to affect your idle a whole lot.

Glider, Smitty and Hopple, where would you start to look, obviously the dealer does not want to look there, any help is appreciated. It just seems like when it is cold out say below 50 in the 40's, no problems, but it stalls out when it is warmer out and you come to a stop.

Hoople, I looked at the SERT, and I do not feel comfortable hooking that up to my bike with everything that is done. So, I talked to the shop that just tuned it, got their opinion on what he thought, so we figured out that the dealer where I bought it was no help, so I am starting with the IAC, we think this is probably a problem that has been overlooked, but I did not want to spend tons of money with the other dealer, I thought that the dealer I bought it from would have stood behind the bike and take care of it, but I guess it was wrong. All they have done is waste my time, I am going to fix it myself, the old fashion way, start at the simplest thing and test and go from there. I will eventually find it, hopefully the IAC will fix it, that is what the dealer that just tuned it said they thought the problem was. I should have just had them fix it. Oh well, live and learn.

Back