free website stats program I sat on an R1 the other day. | Harley Davidson Forums

I sat on an R1 the other day.

Sunnysideup

I wanted to see what all the hype was about around these R1's so I went to a dealership to look one over. Have any of you ever sat on one of these bikes? Had to be the MOST uncomfortable thing besides a wood rail fence I've ever sat on. No wonder their built to go so quick, I'd want off that thing as fast as possible too.

I love the sportbikes for their technology and performance but would only own one if I had lots of disposable income. The performance for the money is amazing! It blows my mind that you can buy a bike that will run low 9 second quarter miles (from the factory with no mods) and will bang into the rev limiter at 185 mph with more to go if not electronically limited on the top speed (Kawasaki ZX14). Can't touch those kinds of numbers in even the exotic euro cars, this thing accelerates harder than even a Veyron. All for maybe 14k.

Would I trade my air cooled modern dinosaur Fat Bob for one? Heck no! I bet the vast majority of sport bike enthusiasts don't touch even 50% of what these bikes are capable of, they are made for wannabe racers or the people who have to have one of everything. I traded in my Yamaha V-Max for my Fat Bob and couldn't be happier! The V-Max was not quite the beast that the R1 is but still would run up to 145 faster than you can imagine unless you have romped on a V-Rod. The V-Max and V-Rod lay down nearly identical numbers performance wise.

My Harley is plenty fast and quick enough, the "performance" bikes are too hyper to be enjoyable to me any more. I also bet that if you could get them to tell the truth, most all sport bike riders would tell you they hate the riding position, kills the wrists, lower back, and neck big time. It would be like using a F1 car as a daily driver, impressive performance but every thing else is terrible!:newsmile065:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well put Screwylouie. I realized they were monsters performance wise but I had no idea they would be so miserable as far as comfort. There was a Honda CBR 250 or something of the like. The comfort was rather acceptable actually and still a sharp looking bike. I'm sure it lacked enough performance for most but atleast you could sit on the thing. I'm staying with cruisers.

I had a yamaha 2008 R1 "sold" I had 2010 Honda cbr 1000 "sold it" I even had a 2010 MV agusta "sold it" yes those bike were fun yes those bike are for the want to be racer. I use to race at a few tracks scrape my knee here and there. Yes those bikes look nice but I never got rid of my 2001 Dyna low ride bc no matter how fast or nice they are it never compared to my dyna glide. The hype of those bikes end quick. Never wanted to give up my dyna for anything

Nice add to the thread sadragna and welcome to the forum!

Thank you sunnysideup thanks for the welcome. I lost my dyna glide in hurricane sandy. I just both a new road king and I love it just has much as my dyna maybe a lil more do to fuel injection

I LOVE some get up and go.I also love to go around corners sometimes.

I bought a 955cc Triumph Daytona Triple way back in '97(it was a cutting edge Sportsbike then) and i still have it.Dont ride it much;have NEVER ridden it much-5000klms on it,but it will still do 0 to 60 in 3.5 secs and i ran it at a drag night and clocked an 11.4 quarter.Better and more brutal riders than i logged 0 to 60 in 2.8 and standing quarters at 10.7 when the bike was released.Not modern fast but faster than just about anything on the road.

Sports bikes and Harleys are Chalk and Cheese.On the very rare times i ride my 595 on my favourite road,i'm constantly amazed,impressed and bewildered that i can take a corner at such a different speed to my 16" wheeled Deluxe.Cornering clearance,brakes and torque are so disparate.

I think it's good to have a little bit of the best of both worlds.My Triumph still has world class brakes,great get up and go,excellent cornering clearance,gives me sore wrists and back ache and the ability to get in over my head when i tend to forget how much slower i've become.

My Harley stops politely with a single disc brake,lacks get up and go,has poor cornering clearance,also gives me a sore back and MAKES me ride to my ability.

A Sport bike is something you hop off feeling stiff,sore and slightly guilty that you broke all those road rules and survived again;a Harley just makes you feel good about enjoying Motorcycling.

It's a way different pace,

Another excellent contribution ......thank you Biscuit.

"Sports bikes and Harleys are Chalk and Cheese." I never have heard this reference before.......I like it! Think I'll impress my friends down at the local pub with it!

Another excellent contribution ......thank you Biscuit.

"Sports bikes and Harleys are Chalk and Cheese." I never have heard this reference before.......I like it! Think I'll impress my friends down at the local pub with it!

Hey,glad you liked it! Never even considered it might be a bit of an "Australian-ism": it just fitted with what i wanted to say.

Give me some time and i might even find some more aphorisms for you to enjoy.:s

Ride safe.

But the power to weight ratio is one that needs to be experienced. There is nothing like it. As a former sport bike rider also, I always would like to add another to the stable.

Back