free website stats program I love an easy fix | Harley Davidson Forums

I love an easy fix

jamesearl

out putting new miles on today,a buzz that used to only go for a few seconds,between 1st and 2nd gear,started to humm pretty good.Started tapping areas with my fingers(after it cooled down)and found the gas cap needs replacing.The top is loose,even when fully tightened.It's like the chrome top of it can move a little.I'm gonna go to dealer and see if they can just rob something off the floor.Which may be how I wound up with it.It was the last wide glide there.Just knowing what it is provides peace of mind,I thought it was a heat shield or something.

You can try wrapping cap with a rag and gently using a pliers or channel lock squeeze chrome cover to cap.
Be careful not to damage chrome.....

That's a good one to keep in my memory bank. I recently developed a noise that was driving me nuts coming from the rear of the bike. Checked and tightened every bolt, took off my saddle bags, checked heat shields you name it. Finally located the noise my fender was hitting the lower mount bracket that attaches below the license plate and onto saddle bag mount frame. Took off bracket, cleaned and put some vinyl coated foam adhesive backed corner insulation pieces for doors on it in 3 locations. Wallah, no more noise. Funny even with a "loudish" Harley all I heard was that rattle.

I agree with the rag and channel locks. Had the same issue years ago on my fatboy. Just a gentle squeeze and fixed.

when I looked at it,the chrome is on,it's between the plastic innards,and the separate chrome cap where there is play.

If there is play in the chrome cap,You can cover the chrome with a rag and apply pressure with a pair of pliers to make the chrome cap conform to the plastic.This will stop the rattle.This is what DBMG and kdaddy are saying.

Got a rattle in rf turn signal. HD has an updated part number for the bolt and nut for the stanchion

Back