free website stats program i have an 09 streetbob with BAD shift shaft sideplay.. | Harley Davidson Forums

i have an 09 streetbob with BAD shift shaft sideplay..

quazimoto67

when i changed the leaking shift shaft seal on my boys streetbob we noticed a ridiculous amount of side to side play in the shaft as it comes out of tranny...the new seal helped but started leaking again within few hundred miles,,,bike only has 24k miles on it...is there a bearing in the tranny case that is changable without to much issues?

also does them CLYMER SERVICE MANUALS show a breakdown of the transmissions incase im going to tackle this??? im trying to find out if its easier/cheaper to fix this or just blow 6-700 and throw a new tranny on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there side play in shifter again? Can you push it over the spline more to get closer to the case? Mine was loose last year and that's what I did. But mine did not have a leak.

Is there side play in shifter again? Can you push it over the spline more to get closer to the case? Mine was loose last year and that's what I did. But mine did not have a leak.
yeah the play is way to excessive to let it go...it will start leaking again right away even with new seal....its crazy cuz the tranny works perfect.i think it has had issues wearing out since we bought the bike and it finally just got bad enough to start leaking bad...when i had it apart a couple months ago and replaced the seal it looked like it was leaking for a long time just very small amount,,,with it being that bad im just shocked there is no grinding or binding or something from the bearing being wiped out...or whatever is in there to keep the shaft true

yeah the play is way to excessive to let it go...it will start leaking again right away even with new seal....its crazy cuz the tranny works perfect.i think it has had issues wearing out since we bought the bike and it finally just got bad enough to start leaking bad...when i had it apart a couple months ago and replaced the seal it looked like it was leaking for a long time just very small amount,,,with it being that bad im just shocked there is no grinding or binding or something from the bearing being wiped out...or whatever is in there to keep the shaft true
....and even when i put the new seal in there was still alot of play but the seal hid some of it,,,until it probably ruined that seal

I would suggest the Harley manual for that specific year and model.
ok thanks,,,,im not sure if im going to tackle it myself or just throw a new tranny on....if i have to pay a shop to fix this shaft issue ,i can probably just buy a new tranny and install that myself for same cost or cheaper,,,which that i can easilt do,but ive never been inside of em..

Last edited by a moderator:
You are greatly underestimating the price of a replacement transmission. New or used. It will be much cheaper to have a qualified shop do the repair.

No way would I consider replacing an operating tranny over making the necessary repair; total waste of money.:rolleyes: This is a DIY repair.;)

The shift shaft is the shifter pawl; the piece of hardware that rotates the shift drum which changes gears. There is a "sleeve" in the case that the shifter pawl shaft rides in, like a bushing. There is also a history of shifter pawls breaking at the weld in 2014-2016 six speeds but if that is the case, there would shifting issues. I would be looking for a worn bushing as the cause for the side play.

In either case, that bushing can be replaced without pulling the gear set with the Jim's R/R tool. Check out the video. Totally agree that on the HD manual; the Clymer is a waste of money. I have seen the Jim's tool on Dennis Kirk website for about $50; much cheaper than a new transmission. Just make sure the tool is the correct tool for the model year.;)

thank you for your advice...i finally have the time now to get to it,,im going to replace the bushing ,,,ordering tool and parts tonight ..muchly appreciated

Back