free website stats program I didn't do it...REALLY | Harley Davidson Forums

I didn't do it...REALLY

mnultra

I've got an 09 Ultra that I got a new windshield for. Went to install it tonight and removed the two outer screws first, then the middle. When I was removing the middle screw I noticed it was turning harder than the other two. Well, it came out and when it did, it popped out to a 45 degree angle, head up. So I carefully removed it the rest of the way and noticed that the threaded hole on the inner fairing was about 1/3 hole below the hole on the outer fairing. Actually, the hole on the outer fairing actully is somewhat egg shaped (narrow part to the bottom). I can get the screw started by carefully prying up on the inner fairing (without the windshield on) but I hit resisance about 1-2 turns in, and with the brass theads, I certainly didn't want to force it.

Any suggestions? If I take it to the dealer are they going to try to blame me for it, even though there really is no way I could have done it? And last, can I ride it to the dealer (about 6 miles, speed limit 50) with only the two screws holding the windshield in?

Attachments

• Cente windshield hole.JPG
    Cente windshield hole.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 74
Sounds like the screw was crossthreaded into the brass insert below, and if you try to force it back in it may actually "spin" the insert out.
I would take it to the dealer anyway, they likely have dealt with this before and you can explain this as you have the errant screw in hand.

If you got the new windshield from them they would be more than happy to help, if not, probably will be less so. In either case, BE NICE and try to keep cool and calm, as you ARE trying to build your relationship with your dealer. It will pay big dividends down the road.

The dealer is going to tell you that you removed the screw so it is your fault and you will have to pay to fix it , good luck but the dealer would not cover my stripped hole in my RG when their tech stripped the screw in my RG fairing .

You may want to get some New Grommets with the Threaded Insert for it, I went through the same thing with My Windshield recently, it is easier to change out yourself!

2009 Road Glide - Red Sunglo

It's not that the insert is stripped, it's that the holes don't line up. When I try to put the screw back in, I would have to start it at a 45 degree angle because of the misalignment of the holes. I was able to "pry" the holes into alignment and I ran another screw in to make sure of the threads, and the threads are ok.

Try loosening the other 4 screws holding the fairing,then start with that centre screw and put the three windshield screws in ,then tighten everything up

Steve. That did it :D I loosened up the other 4 screws and then pulled down on the outer fairing at the top and my wife was able to just spin in the center screw. Only bummer is that anytime I take off the outer fairing from now on, I will have to deal with it. Oh well, at least I know how I will have to get it back together :D

Back