free website stats program I could use a good belt right about now... | Harley Davidson Forums

I could use a good belt right about now...

FerrousBueller

Last Saturday I was riding to meet some friends in Sacramento. I was off the Highway, when My drive belt broke at the stoplight. Light turned Green, let the clutch out, no go.

Had bike picked up and taken to Sacramento Harley Davidson, it got there just at closing.

Service department closed until Tuesday.

I've had the bike 4 months and 2700+ miles. It is a '09, Softail Custom, I am the first owner.

I have installed: Dobeck's Gen 3 EJK, K&N Intake Kit, and American Custom slip ons.

Had 1000 Mile service done at San Jose H-D in February.

I'm expecting a fight from H-D regarding warranty coverage. Other than remaining Cool, Calm, and Collected what else should I be ready with?

... ... ... .My drive belt broke . ... .. .. . I've had the bike 4 months and 2700+ miles. It is a '09, Softail Custom, I am the first owner.
I have installed: Dobeck's Gen 3 EJK, K&N Intake Kit, and American Custom slip ons.
I'm expecting a fight from H-D regarding warranty coverage. Other than remaining Cool, Calm, and Collected what else should I be ready with?

If you bought the bike new, I would think you would be covered with that low mileage, unless something you've put on the bike would void the warranty.

Last Saturday I was riding to meet some friends in Sacramento. I was off the Highway, when My drive belt broke at the stoplight. Light turned Green, let the clutch out, no go.

Had bike picked up and taken to Sacramento Harley Davidson, it got there just at closing.

Service department closed until Tuesday.

I've had the bike 4 months and 2700+ miles. It is a '09, Softail Custom, I am the first owner.

Not sure IF you have Xtended coverage, OR if that would pay for a belt?

I find I watch for EVEN a few pieces of Loose gravel on highways...GUN SHY, as I have gone thru 5 belts in my time on different bikes.

Right after putting on a new tire looking for a dirt/gravel parking lot to take the slippery OFF a new tire on my sport, I Felt the belt go tight and KNEW a rock just went thru the pulley, sure enough I picked out a small rock.
Lucky it was small and centered on the belt... The belt gave me years of ride before I felt to replaced it..

I think you are going to be out of luck on the belt... They will probably say it is Not due to a faulty one... Most of the time, You can tell How the belt broke..
Can you see a cut edge off either side ?? or a possible Rock hole?? Before the tear???? Belts Like tires can GO at anytime..

If so It probably Won't be covered.... I had a similar experience years back and HD shop where I bought the bike said HD would NOT do it on warranty as It is considered a Wear part and just a damage issue..

GOOD LUCK IF you can get them to replace at their cost..

signed....BUBBIE

Wow Bubbie thanks for the enlightenment. I would have never dreamed a belt with that low a mileage would be treated like that. I've heard of belts lasting longer than the engine etc. But then what do I know since I spent most of my riding years on chains.

Neither my friends or I found anything that looked like a cut from gravel in/on the belt. My friend who has more experience did say the belt looked/felt unusually stiff and brittle.

Wow Bubbie thanks for the enlightenment. I would have never dreamed a belt with that low a mileage would be treated like that. I've heard of belts lasting longer than the engine etc. But then what do I know since I spent most of my riding years on chains.
If you look at it as IF You (Mr.HD) were the one who had to pay for the warranty repair,

Would you IF the bike was abused (Ridden Hard) or a Rock went thru the belt tearing it and causing the thing to snap? (not saying Bueller did that)

I can see that it is considered a WEAR PART, I did Just call a dealer and got that as a confirmed answer... Yes it is and NO under warranty......

sorry

signed....BUBBIE

Like Bubbie said. You are probably out of luck on the belt. The belt, pulleys, brake pads and clutch plates are considered consumables, wear items.:(

Like Bubbie said. You are probably out of luck on the belt. The belt, pulleys, brake pads and clutch plates are considered consumables, wear items.:(

+1 Redfish and Bubbie. I went round and round with customers a few times while working at a H.D. dealer on this issue..

You may want to approach the dealer for a good will replacement on the belt being it isn't an old belt. If they are a decent dealer they may look to split the cost with you at least.

You may want to approach the dealer for a good will replacement on the belt being it isn't an old belt. If they are a decent dealer they may look to split the cost with you at least.

This would be my approach, all dealers have funds set aside for this, the tech will get paid, and if you are polite calm and stand your ground HMMM it just may work. Let us know and Good Luck:s

Back