free website stats program I am new at this... | Harley Davidson Forums

I am new at this...

eascottesc

Just got a 2003 100th Anniversary 883. Couple of problems though. It is a 49 state bike that I cannot register in California. Also, I am getting a lot of overflow out of the carburetor. Cousin, mechanic said to run it with the fuel supply valve off until it runs out and it should reset the float.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a stuck float for sure. Remove carb, disassemble, clean, and put it back together. Find a rebuild kit for it that has the gaskets and you'll be all set.

At the age it is the rubber on the tip of the float needle could have gone hard and no longer seal so perhaps a new float needle is required

Brian

Just got a 2003 100th Anniversary 883. Couple of problems though. It is a 49 state bike that I cannot register in California. Also, I am getting a lot of overflow out of the carburetor. Cousin, mechanic said to run it with the fuel supply valve off until it runs out and it should reset the float.

why the problem registering?

Make sure you get the most current parts for your carb and take your time cleaning it and blowing out all the passages, I found after dis assembly throw the hard parts in an ice cream bucket of lacquer thinner and cover it over night. This will cook out a lot of the varnish and crud built up:s

why the problem registering?

Calif bikes required different things by HD than the other states required. Special back then, HD had to make them For Calif... Now days with the cats and ALL running LEAN,,, the newer bikes are OK in Calif..:newsmile100:

That is Just the way I understood it. Glad I'm not over there...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Yes, my "CA legal" Suzuki Intruder had a small metal box on the back fender which was some type of emissions filter. Hated it b/c I couldn't add a luggage rack to carry my stuff.

Needle valve issue. It worn, or you have something in it preventing it from closing.

Back