free website stats program Hydraulic Clutch Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Hydraulic Clutch Question

JimmyDee

Been riding since 1963, tried a 2017 SGS with the "New" clutch.

My question is to those that own a Harley with the hydraulic clutch...Am I the only one that has an issue with it or is it something that you'll get use to in time or is it a non-issue?

Felt like a newbie leaving the parking lot...

Yes, the clutch friction point is out near the end of reach.I first noticed this when I rode a V-rod Muscle.I figured it was worn clutch from demo rides.It's not,that's the way the slipper clutch works and no adjustment.You will get used to it.I find it hard to take off when bars are turned extreme right.Some bend their clutch levers and you can buy bent clutch levers.But sometimes You can't start in gear with some bent clutch levers.
There is one great advantage to the slipper clutch.You can downshift at almost any speed and it smoothly downshifts with no jerking .

My fears reviled about the Hydraulic Clutch. This past Sat. I was at Bike week 2017. A lot of stop and go, Heat Management system would kick in now and the, but only when stopped for extended time. End of the day I thought I would take a ride down main street and head home. Stop and go was crazy. Very busy. In traffic the rear cylinder stayed shut down for a lot of the time. Well I decided this is just way to long so I get out of traffic to head home. Get go across the bridge on main, and pulled the clutch in and BANG. NO CLUTCH AT ALL. Get the the stop light at the bottom of the bridge and nothing. DEAD in the middle of the street. This is so embarrassing. Can't get going so I pull off on the side walk and sit. I had the recall done, and had the 40k on my 2014 Ultra Classic Service done at the dealership before I went to bike week.

Is there something wrong with the clutch? I was able to get it back to working just by pulling the clutch lever over and over again, and then it started work. Was the failure of the clutch caused by over heating? This is a real concern should I have it looked at by the dealer as to why this happened?

It is more than likely heat related. The clutch line going to the transmission right side runs extremely close to the rear exhaust header. You can get some heat shield sleeves to put over the line where it passes that header.

No problems with my 2015 ultra, but did have a simular failure on Vulcan that was a heat related hydraulic clutch loss. Let the bike cool down for awhile and than it was fine.

I also found out that the fluid in the hydraulic clutch should be replaced every 2 years. Just like the brake fluid. I did a job for a friend who has a hydraulic clutch, and was getting a clicking noise out of the right side of the transmission. Put a new bearing on the release rod, and changed the fluid (which was extremely dirty) , and now the bike shifts better than a new harley.

Back