free website stats program How would you know? | Harley Davidson Forums

How would you know?

There are signs like surging at slow speeds or in past years by checking the color of the plugs but that doesn't work well now since the lead has been removed. You see the additive packages now on the plugs which is usually reddish brown.

Best way is a dyno run if you are that curious.

Too rich usually blows black, look for black unburnt fuel or feel inside the pipes, if black soot is on your finger, she's rich. It may run better at higher rps too and your fuel consumption will be greater. Lot's of signs can suggest rich, Dyno don't lie.

Lean runs hot, surges and can do damage to an engine.

Rich will be very non responsive on the throttle and can dilute the oil from fuel bypassing the rings. Will also carbon things up and can cause problems there too.

Lean runs hot, surges and can do damage to an engine.

Rich will be very non responsive on the throttle and can dilute the oil from fuel bypassing the rings. Will also carbon things up and can cause problems there too.

Will the simple H-D remapping download (cheaper) fully cure the lean situation, or is a SE Race Tuner, V&H Fuel Pak, (more expensive) etc. a better cure? Or???? I have posted on other forums and am looking for a smoother running motor and not necessarily performance gains.

Will the simple H-D remapping download (cheaper) fully cure the lean situation, or is a SE Race Tuner, V&H Fuel Pak, (more expensive) etc. a better cure? Or???? I have posted on other forums and am looking for a smoother running motor and not necessarily performance gains.

The HD download is still lean for EPA regs even when you use HD parts. Your best bet depending on what you are going to do to the motor are a TFI, PC III or a SERT from easiest to hardest as far as programming and results.
If you aren't planning any big mods like cams and head work, then I would say the TFI would be the way to go.

Back