free website stats program How to paint black denim? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to paint black denim?

JJDH

The title basically says it. What are the steps in painting black denim? Primer? Is there a clear coat? I am looking at changing the fender in front and have found a primer tour pack so im wondering the paint process beyond sanding.

I am going to take a guess and say that I would bet that it is a 2- stage base coat clear coat with the clear coat dring to a matt finish

I painted the detachable fairing on my RoadKing with a ureathane base coat clear coat finish I sanded it and then used a primer sealer followed by more sanding I then applied the base coat let it flash off and then put on the ureathane clear coat you would have to use a clear coat with a flatning agent in it to get the denim look I hope this helps you out.

Two guys come to mind who know paint...WhatYardWork and Steve07...might PM them or wait a bit. I do know that HD paint is not exactly unique, but probably made by PPG and other paint manufacturers providing the base paints, but beyond that they are the go to guys.

You can buy a a product at your local auto body shop supply house that flattens the color you are spraying. I used this product years back when I was restoring early Corvettes and the fender wells needed to be sprayed in a flat finish. Should still be available.

I just went through this with my wife's Street Bob fender. We painted her fender three times before I smartened up; most shops won't touch denim because of color matching issues.

You need the HD Black Denim and the HD Activator.

No clear coat, no buffing, no wet sanding, no "flatteners", etc.

From experience: if you buy the HD denim you must use the HD activator or the paint will not be close to matching. FYI: denim doesn't match exactly.

Chip

I just went through this with my wife's Street Bob fender. We painted her fender three times before I smartened up; most shops won't touch denim because of color matching issues.

You need the HD Black Denim and the HD Activator.

No clear coat, no buffing, no wet sanding, no "flatteners", etc.

From experience: if you buy the HD denim you must use the HD activator or the paint will not be close to matching. FYI: denim doesn't match exactly.

Chip
Thanks. I will purchase the paint from harley. I kind of figured that the paint wont match perfect since it fades. Basically prime it, spray it............

Thanks. I will purchase the paint from harley. I kind of figured that the paint wont match perfect since it fades. Basically prime it, spray it............

That's all we did. A quart of paint and the activator (which does a pint) were around $100.00. I think the quart is the smallest size avaialable and I have about a third of a quart left after three fender paintings.

Back