free website stats program How to keep a scratch in your exhaust from rusting? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to keep a scratch in your exhaust from rusting?

NYHarley

I have a couple of good deep scratches in my Rinehart Pipes. They scratches are not noticeable and for $50 bucks they were a steal. However they are deep right thru the chrome. I polish the pipes regularly, but want to make sure the scratches don't rust, what can I do?

Most auto parts suppliers sell high gloss high heat engine paint .Problem s it is only available in aerosol. Buy a can of silver and spray some onto a piece of cardboard,then take a Q-tip and use that to apply it to the scratches. It lasts for quite a while before it needs a touch up.

Also works on crash bars and bag guards if you have mistakenly parked it on it's side :s

Another thing you may try....

You may also be able to take a dab of Never-Seize and push it into the scratch. Take a rag and wipe off the excess.
It's Silver & it's High temp and won't let rust form. Who knows it may work.

Hoop!

Move to Arizona :lolrolling

I am moving to North Carolina in a few months. I guess thats better weather than NY.

I will try the paint method.... I don't care about the looks cause you can't see the scratches unless you look for them. I just know that the rust will take over if I am not pro-active.

if they are in a hard to see area try 'clear' fingernail polish, make sure pipes are cool first.

I have a couple of good deep scratches in my Rinehart Pipes. They scratches are not noticeable and for $50 bucks they were a steal. However they are deep right thru the chrome. I polish the pipes regularly, but want to make sure the scratches don't rust, what can I do?

I use ZINK spray product (galv-con)::: LIKE STEVEO7 says onto cardboard then I use a toothpick to fine detail the scratch...zink stays around for quite a while EVEN when most is wiped-worn off.... It adheres to bare scratched metal and a very thin molecule of zink keeps it rust free....

problem is YOU will see the scratch-galvanize when YOU look at it every time... BUT RUST will not happen....

I kinda liked the idea of clear nail-polish .. IF not too hot an area, it might last okay...

signed....BUBBIE

Back