free website stats program How to find the previous owner? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to find the previous owner?

hogw1ld

Hi everyone, I purchased a bike a while back from a dealership and the bike was used and purchased at an auction. Does anyone know how I could find the previous owner? I would like to know of any mods and such that were done to the bike before I order parts, I would hate to replace something that has been done. The dealership had little info, no surprise. Thanks for your time and responses!

No personal experience but maybe you could check with the state revenue department or department of transportation. Would probably help if you have a friend or contact who is a LEO. Best of luck.:57:

i was thinking of maybe trying license and registration office, but I doubt the "motivated" public servants will have that much drive to find the info.

You can call HD cust service and give them the VIN# and they can tell you the originating dealership who initially purchased the bike. They will also give you the warranty history of warranty service work done on the bike.

If the dealer who first purchased the bike is close proximity to you, you can try starting there and see if they have any owner info on file that matches the VIN#.

I don't have the HD cust svc phone #, but it's on this site somewhere. As that's where I found it.

i was thinking of maybe trying license and registration office, but I doubt the "motivated" public servants will have that much drive to find the info.
In my state the VIN or license plate data can be obtained via the State Revenue office, but they won't just give it to anyone. That's why it helps if you have a friend or relative in law enforcement.

All good ideas, VIN# is the key...knowing a LEO or a good friend in "high places" a definite plus. DMV does offer service typically. I would go to to local HD dealer(s) and see if there is a history of your bike being serviced there. Found that he bought Parts and Accessories, but other than the warranty service, no other data. I did meet him and found he had a former HD mechanic work on the bike, doing the routine maintenance using HD Syn3 engine oil, and HD Formula + so no other "hard records"...:25:

anyone from a dealership can look up the original owner and any other owners that have been listed for warranty all they need is the VIN, its called an SWR enquiry.

I went to my local HD dealer and he told me all about my Softail after I gave him the VIN#, including the previoys owners name.

Back