free website stats program how to adjust bag latches??? | Harley Davidson Forums

how to adjust bag latches???

89 FXRS

On my saddle bags as well as a couple of my friends we seem to have the same problem - when hitting a bump or even some railroad tracks the latch pops open, read the facory manual and it says you can adjust the fingers on the latch, but none of us have figured out how to do this to where it'll stop poping open, I know if I lock it it'll stay shut but most of the time I like to leave it unlocked - and it only does it on one of the bags, the other one always stays shut - this is the case with all the others as well, it's just that one!!! - anyone have any success in adjusting these latches? Went to the dealership and one of the techs gave it a try but on the way home I went over some tracks and when I got home sure enough it poped open.

Definitely lock them - if one opens at high speed you'll have a bigger problem. I believe the owner's manual even says to lock them while riding...

The adjustment of latches is minimal. The only cure as others has said is to lock saddlebags to secure. Unlocked there is no way to prevent lids from popping open.

If Steve's adjustment doesn't help, it may be that your weatherstrip seal has compressed with age. IMO the weatherstrip keeps pressure on everything. You might try putting a few pieces of universal weatherstrip or foam around the lid to "shim" it up.

Don't know if it will help but when I replaced the spring on the hinge shaft the closers stopped rattlemg.

I had the same problem with my upper bag. I went to my local HD dealer for a replacement weatherstrip and the problem was solved.

P5130152.jpg

if you bend the tabs shown in this image up slightly...Your bags will stay closed...I hope this helps.

I made the same adjustment that geezerglide recommended, on my son in-law's street glide, and the problem was resolved.

Sometimes just turning the canvas tether upside down or in the opposite direction will fix the problem of the bags popping open. It seems the tether develops a crease in such a way that it interferes with it closing properly.

Back