free website stats program How to Adjust 50FL Solid Pushrods ???????? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to Adjust 50FL Solid Pushrods ????????

1bikenut

Does anyone know how to adjust solid pushrods on 1950FL Panhead that has the adjument in the tappets not on the pushrods themselves?

Thanks!
Chris

1st thing I do on my 59 FLH is get the bike in the air....take the spark plugs out remove the 4 push rod clips, ....I made up a few rubber band / paper clip bent into a hook at 1 end to hold the push rod tubes up out of the way........next rotate the engine using the kick start or put her in gear and rotate the rear tire until you see the lifters on the front cyclinder lifter block drop down to the lowest part of the cam lobes.........then get the correct size open end wrenchs, and lossen the lock nut and spin the front exhaust push rod ..now with the lock nut still loose spin up the lower lifter adjuster until you fell the push rod getting harder to spin.....tighten the lock nut using both wrenches....check the push rod again...it should hardly be able to spin with your finger tips!.......now do the intake front push rod.....always check your work before going to the rear push rods

The motor should be stone cold
...always inspect all 3 push rod tube seals...2 small and 1 big per push rod, there are the cork and the blue silicon type I have used both...If your using new cork ones I soak them in a little 60 wt so they seal better at install....replacing the tube clips is fun...I use a big flat screw driver and slide the clip into place....always recheck the push rods before you
install the clips.....I keep a few spare pushrod seal with the bike just in case one goes bad while Im away from home on the bike! good luck ! take your time !

Back