free website stats program How often should I change my fluids?? | Harley Davidson Forums

How often should I change my fluids??

In September 2008 I changed all the fluids and as of today I have about 2,300 miles on that oil change. I'm getting ready for a 1,200 mile ride do you think I should change all three fluids before I leave? I have full synthetic in the bike and owner's manual says to change every 5K miles?

Thanks for your input

Not many in here go the full interval that the manual says. You will get a wide variety of opinions. Synthetics resist breakdown better so you can extend the change interval if needed. Overall, I would say since you're asking the question, it's at the front of your mind and will remain there the entire trip if you don't do the change. Do it!

In September 2008 I changed all the fluids and as of today I have about 2,300 miles on that oil change. I'm getting ready for a 1,200 mile ride do you think I should change all three fluids before I leave? I have full synthetic in the bike and owner's manual says to change every 5K miles?

Thanks for your input

Use the recommendations in the Owner's Manual as the absolute MAXIMUM intervals. This assumes that the bike is being ridden is a very mild way. Most of us suggest changing the engine oil on a 2,500-3,000 mile interval. Change the other two fluids at that same time, or at MOST every other time you change the engine oil.

AND use this as your guide for what fluids to use:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I think I undertand what to use in the engine Mobile V twin 20/50

Tranny - SPECTRO PLATINUM HEAVY DUTY GL-1 FULL SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL 75W140

What I'm not sure about is the primary? Dealer says syn 3 20/50

What do you thinks is the best option?

Keep in mind I live and ride in the desert.

TQ has you covered, most opt for the HD recommended intervals as the maximum. Depending on your riding habits you will change it more often if...

1) You ride in city a lot on short rides less than 25-30 miles or ride in cold or damp conditions (oil does not get hot enought to evaporate moisture with dilutes and helps to cause corrosion.

2) You ride in stop and go traffic or high heat conditions 90 deg or higher most of the time where internal oil temperatures can break down oils.

3) You are on a limited budget and do not service your bike yourself, change at factory recommended intervals based on duty of service you and your dealer/aftermarket servicer recommend. :33:

Back