free website stats program How much oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

How much oil?

Animal

Just finished a oil and filter change on my 05 Ultra. Put 3 1/2 Quarts in as per manual and went for a ride after checking for leaks. Checked oil after ride and oil was at the add mark, checked 3 times and oil still at add mark. Added a 1/2 quart and checked level, now its at the half way point between full and add. Is manual wrong or is this a flash back to the 70's? Temp. was at normal riding temp's.

Leave it at the 4 qt level you have now regardless of what the stick tells you. Check it again after drain back to the tank. You'll get two different level readings hot and cold.

Leave it at the 4 qt level you have now regardless of what the stick tells you. Check it again after drain back to the tank. You'll get two different level readings hot and cold.

Isn't the cold level half way between the add and full mark? I quess my point was I put in the required amount and the oil was hot when I checked it. Is this normal that the bike will take more then required? I don't recall this issue last oil change but I left the bike draining for about 4 hrs. while I did other stuff. Also used K&N oil filter, I like the nut on the end.
P.S. Just read the "self help" section on oil changes and the bagger will take 3 1/2 to 4 qts. So I guess it didn't just disappear into the Hole Beyond Space. And no flash back, damn it!

Last edited:
It's not normal for more than 4 quarts. It sometimes indicates that oil is not being returned from the sump in the motor and a possible oil pump problem. You may notice a sluggish bike indicating this also when the oil sumps.

Just finished the oil and filter change on a 05 Deluxe, book calls for 3.5 qts. of oil I have put in 3 qts. and it shows full on dip stick also if I look in the oil tank I am about 1/2 inch from bottom of fill neck. This is after oil is hot, should I add the other half qt. or leave it at this level?

Thanks Doug

just changed oil on my 05 ultra. took 4 qts. I checked it cold and hot, guess it depends on how you hold your mouth. switched to synthetic, sure makes the motor quieter.

smitty901, I had it on the jack stright up and let drain for a good while, I belive the last time I changed it I only put back in 3 qts. dip stick has always shown on the right mark, just wasn't sure about the half quart because of the repair manual calling for 3.5 qts. i belive next time I will do as you and measure what comes out and put back the same amount. One more question for anyone, on the primary the book calls for 26 oz. in the 2005 Deluxe this brings the fluid up to the bottom of the cluch pack with the bike stright up on the jack. Would it hurt to add the other 4 oz. to make a qt. or would you stop with the 26 oz.

Stop at the recommended quantity. Over filling the primary can cause problems finding neutral. The extra oil drives the clutch plates when it shouldn't be that high.

Back