free website stats program how much oil ... | Harley Davidson Forums

how much oil ...

mjsteam1

How much oil does a 2010 Heritage Softail Classic hold? I'm new at this and am changing the oil first time. Thanks.

Refer to the owners manual and then add less than that..it is rare that it all drains out...check add, check add

Please follow the advice to fill and check regularly after putting in just shy of 3 qt's. I made the mistake of putting in the recommended 3.5 during my first oil change. I spent the next 20 minutes taking out the drain plug and letting a little out at a time and then re checking. 3.5 put the oil almost coming out the fill tube!

2010 FatBoy, 2qts 14oz's is 1/4" below full mark on factory dipstick.
First time I changed oil, put in 3qts...1/2" ABOVE full mark.
All readings were checked with engine hot after at least 10 miles.
Don't believe what your manual says. Might be right when bike was dry at factory, but not after they filled it.
wilks3
:USA

Depending how you have your bike sitting (jiffystand vs. lift) there are different fill marks on dipstick so make sure you're looking at correct level. Best to fill slow & keep checking level b/c it's easier to add vs. remove oil from crankcase. Stop when you're 1/2 between add & full so you don't get blow-by out a/c. Enjoy working on the scoot.

Keep in mind there is always oil left in the case and oil galleries, so use at least one half quart less and top off after hot:s

Back