free website stats program How much oil is called for 2011 Softail Deluxe | Harley Davidson Forums

How much oil is called for 2011 Softail Deluxe

I Purchased my Bike Used with 3000 miles on it. did not have a owners manual. well i looked where oil level was in tank and on stick before changing to put it back there.. ive read anywhere from 2.8 quarts to 3.5 quarts just draining oil tank. i havent scavenged it any yet. i would like to know cause as it stands i put 2.5 quarts in it and get it warm and keep checking until im about 3/4 on the checkered part of the dip stick meaning it should be 1/4 quart low..but that amount changes everytime i service the engine.. does anyone know what is called for to go in after a oil and filter change?

Every time you drain the oil from the oil tank there is still oil in the engine sump the amount remaining in the sump and engine oil galleries can vary depending on varying factors
Best practice is to take the bike for a run and get the oil fully warm then place the bike upright and drain the tank care should be taken around the hot parts engine/exhaust etc
When filling oil fill to mid point on the dipstick then take the bike for a run get the oil fully warm and check the oil level again should be mid way between full and empty
On any dry sump system the oil tank should be checked for a presence of oil prior to starting the engine oil level is checked when oil has been warmed up

Brian

Every time you drain the oil from the oil tank there is still oil in the engine sump the amount remaining in the sump and engine oil galleries can vary depending on varying factors
Best practice is to take the bike for a run and get the oil fully warm then place the bike upright and drain the tank care should be taken around the hot parts engine/exhaust etc
When filling oil fill to mid point on the dipstick then take the bike for a run get the oil fully warm and check the oil level again should be mid way between full and empty
On any dry sump system the oil tank should be checked for a presence of oil prior to starting the engine oil level is checked when oil has been warmed up

Brian
Yes sir i agree and do just that..ride at least 10 miles then put bike on a lift stand..let oil drain until it stops and even lean bike a little to the drain side...put 2.5 quarts in and its up to the weld on the tank..fire it up..let it run a minute ..shut it off and check..add until 3/4 on thje stick..then go for a 10 minute ride come back check it on jiffy stand on lever ground..i have a spot i use the same one..but the end result is never the same..what i mean i for example my suv takes 6 quarts of oil..change oil and filter put 6 quarts in and run it til pressure comes up..its shows full..run 10 minutes check it still shows full...6 quarts always...but on my bikes this is second harley never the same amount up to 1/2 quart difference in any given oil and filter change.. ive had other bikes not a Harley and if they held 4 quarts you put 4 ion they are full when hot they are full...just cant figure it out on a Harley.. not that i mind cause im a little ocd and prefer to be right on than thinking in the middle of a ride did i fill it up correctly do i need to stop and check it again even thjough i check it at every fill up...just the difference in amounts at change just baffles me..i Really appreciate you taking the time to explain the way you did as to not leave room for error like im bad about doin..glad that kind of help is still out there.and again its greatly appreciated !!!

The best money you'll ever spend is on a owners manual and the shop manual for your scoot.
Take a look on ebay for your specific year and model, cheaper than buying from the dealership.

Last edited:
Harley has been using a dry sump system for many years most other manufacturers use a wet sump system as the two systems are completely different in the way oil is contained they can not be compared like for like
Harley motorcycles have many things that are unique to them it is what makes them different from others it does not necessarily make them better or worse just different it is that bit of difference that some of us are drawn to and it calls for a different way of doing things we just need to adjust our way of doing things to get the best out of our bikes

Brian

All HD engines hold about a pint or more in the case, when you change your oil start out with 2 1/2 qts, run it and recheck it. I agree with Jeff an owners manual is a must have. It is too bad the MOCO did not machine a drain in the cases like they used to on the early Sporster models
http://www.carlsalter.com/harley-service-manuals.asp
look here for a free dowload
https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/om/2011/en/SOFTAIL/file-7.comp
Here is the actual owners manual for your bike from HD

All HD engines hold about a pint or more in the case, when you change your oil start out with 2 1/2 qts, run it and recheck it. I agree with Jeff an owners manual is a must have. It is too bad the MOCO did not machine a drain in the cases like they used to on the early Sporster models
http://www.carlsalter.com/harley-service-manuals.asp
look here for a free dowload
https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/om/2011/en/SOFTAIL/file-7.comp
Here is the actual owners manual for your bike from HD
I Appreciate the information.. i had went online and downloaded over 200 pages of the owners manual...Then i ordered on almost $50 when it got here it was word for word what i had downloaded..however it stated about what you just did..put enough in it to get it on the dipstick..then a 10 minute ride..check it on jiffy stand hot..add until oil level is correct..never says a amount just add and drive until its at the full mark..but since then ive did exactly that..and this change it took 3 quarts with a oil filter change also..
I appreciate you guys helping me out with this issue..you have been a wonderful help to me in trying to see how much oil it takes..if the next few times i do it if it continues to use 3 quarts of oil then i will have answered my own question..lol..
again thanks a bunch and have a wonderful day...

Back