free website stats program How many miles | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles

jmackd1

How many miles does a Harley big twin typically run before it needs to be rebuilt assuming all maintenance is done at the correct intervals and the bike being ridden in a normal manner...Just bought an '04 softail standard with 15000 miles on it...

Thanks,

depends on care given, speed driven, rpm turned in each gear. Not giving short answers but if it was taken care of it is ok. If not it can wear out in 8000 to 10000. Hope your was taken care and serviced. There are usually tell tale signs. leaks squeeks squeals and rattles. good luck, enjoy the ride.

I usually shift at around 3000 rpm , do you think that's excessive or about right for making the engine last a long time ?

I think 3,000 RPM's is a very reasonable shift point for the "B" motor. I rode an 07 Fatboy for about 1 1/2 years and that was the point of 80% - 90% of my shifting, unless I got on it a little.

In my opinion, that "B" motor likes the rpm's around 2,800 to 3,200 rpm's. Sounded good, and was up on the torque curve. I find the "A" motor to be quite different in this regard since in stock configuration it reaches it's peak torque at 3,500 rpm's.

fatboy 07 just responded , thanks by the way , but what is the difference between the a motor and the b motor . i guess i have the b motor .

B motor is internally balanced (softails) with counter weights and the A motor is rubber mounted.

I have a question for Glider. This summer riding on a long Trip to Mich, i developed a bad rattle in my engine. From your last post i have a B motor. 2001 softail Deuce fxstdi. You said they were internally balanced? How can i troubleshoot this Problem? Any idea's on what would be causing it to vibrate so bad?
Along the express ways cruising 70-80 mph my engine rev's around 3000 rpm's. It seems high, but that is where is runs (i wish i had a sixth gear), i have since raddled a mirror off, cracked my clutch lever bracket, and vibrated numerous other parts off.

To add to the original post i usually shift just before 4,000rpm. 43,000 miles on the bike, bought brand new 2001 from Bald Eagle HD in Marquette Mi. I have never had any engine problems, except this annoying vibration that began his summer.

Back