free website stats program How many miles should I expect out of my Stock tires? | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles should I expect out of my Stock tires?

ChiroRick

I've got almost 3k miles on my Dyna Super Glide Custom. Previous owner purchased it in Oct 2007, and put 2200 miles on it as of February 2012, at which point I purchased it. Tires seem to have plenty of tread left. I'm just wondering how many miles yall average on the stock tires.

I'm also aware that tires that aren't used much tend to get hard, and they sometimes crack. Mine do not show any cracks. I think they are good to use until they show more wear, how much, I don't know...

I've heard of the Dunlop American Elites getting 17,000 plus on the rear with mostly 1 up riding.

I've got almost 3k miles on my Dyna Super Glide Custom. Previous owner purchased it in Oct 2007, and put 2200 miles on it as of February 2012, at which point I purchased it. Tires seem to have plenty of tread left. I'm just wondering how many miles yall average on the stock tires.

I'm also aware that tires that aren't used much tend to get hard, and they sometimes crack. Mine do not show any cracks. I think they are good to use until they show more wear, how much, I don't know...

On my (used to own) bike, a 00 FXDS with a larger 150 rear (140 stock) using the standard HD Dunlop's.

I would go thru 2 rear tires/tyres :D to one front tire like clock work.

Fronts were also 1 size larger (110) getting 18/19/000 miles.

I switched here and there ; Avon Venom X's, getting the same, then Metzler 880's and same.:D

All good tires/tyres.

signed....BUBBIE

Alot depends on your driving habits but I agree with the rest. You can figure 2 rears to 1 front. 1 big then is to check the air pressure on a regular basis and make sure there inflated to the correct psi.

2011 FXDB 8800 miles going to need new front and rear shortly -2mm centre tread rear,
3mm centre tread front.
Tyres; Michelin Scorcher 31.
Solo Rider.
30 PSI front; 40 PSI rear.
Approx 180lbs in riding gear
Ride roads with tight and twisty bends and open sweepers.
Riding style moderatley aggressive.
Hope that helps.

07 Streetbob, 15k on front tire, rear 12k Stock Dunlpos check PSI weekly:s

Rick,

The right wrist, proper tire pressure, and the rear tire alignment are all important. Watch these and you'll be OK.

On my '07 Superglide I budget for a new front tire at 20k miles and a rear at 10k. I just checked with the penny test and both are good; 17k on the front and 9k on the rear, both are the called-for stock Dunlops. What usually happens, however, is new tires just before a major trip or the summer riding season so I'll be getting new ones in month, at about 58k total miles.

Hope this helps.

Silver

I only got 12k out of my stock tires and 9k out of the next set. Guess I shouldnt ride it so hard.... nah.... :58:

Got a Little over 9k on my rear Avon Venom and its ready for a new one. Lots of variables to this equation than just miles though. Pavement makeup that is ridden on, temperature, how hard its ridden, panic stops, etc.

Appreciate the responses fellas. Being new to heavy bikes, I'm not sure what to expect. I've owned 2 Kawasaki KLR 650's before this (a 2005 then a 2009) and I would get about 6k out of a rear tire (Avon's). I honestly didn't want to speculate, which is why I asked ya'lls opinion. I was assuming around 10k for the rear, and I always replace the front when I replace the rear. Just a habit.

Back