free website stats program How many miles between oil changes? | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles between oil changes?

marco7927

With synthectic oil will it last longer than convential oil between changes? I am running Mobil 1 20/50 for vtwin motorcycles. I am guessing 5k like the owners manual says but I thought it should last longer like 10k.

5k for me with mobile 1 20w50.
Hopefully the Guru's will jump in here. I believe it's not a matter of your lube lasting longer, it's a matter of it getting contaminated with carbon, un-burned gasoline and condensation from heating and cooling. The syn's will proboly last more than 5,000 miles and not suffer viscosity breakdown or loss of lubricating properties, but it gets so contaminated you need to change it anyhow. I change mine every 5k.

It's more like the synthetics holding up better than the dino oils in a high heat situation. The dino oils will deteriorate rapidly over 250* and the synthetics can stand much higher before degrading. As far as lasting longer, I would say you may get an extra thousand or two out of them if you want to stretch the change intervals but I still do it a 2500 mile intervals.

i182_OilBreakdown.jpg

2500-3000 MAX.

Remember: engine oil becomes contaminated by post-combustion [rhymes with "frappe"], and should be changed at regular intervals even if you use synthetic.

Clean oil is the cheapest way to keep the engine runnin' right...

3,000 miles just like my truck...easy to remember when looking at the odometer, and multiple of 3,000 and done. Richard does make a good point, just before "parking" for the winter, I would change it also, want to get any moisture out of the bike that could cause internal corrosion or rust, and drain my carb and put Stabil in the tank, just to be sure.

Back