free website stats program How many Amps does it take??? | Harley Davidson Forums

How many Amps does it take???

ironmark

How many amps does it take to run the newer touring model HD bikes. I know that the bike has a 50 amp charging system so how many amps would I have left over for extras such as aux lighting or audio amplifiers.

That's a good question. I suppose you could get into the service manual and gather together the amperage draw of all of your accessories and subtract that from the 50 amp out-put to see what is needed or you could connect an ameter between the batttery and the positive and get an actual reading with all accessories on and the engine at about 1800 to 2000 rpm. The actual reading would be best when deciding to get into an upgrade on the charging system. I know that the factory set-up is never enough if you're in stop and go traffic, the system just can't keep-up, but out on the road it works.

That's a good question. I suppose you could get into the service manual and gather together the amperage draw of all of your accessories and subtract that from the 50 amp out-put to see what is needed or you could connect an ameter between the batttery and the positive and get an actual reading with all accessories on and the engine at about 1800 to 2000 rpm. The actual reading would be best when deciding to get into an upgrade on the charging system. I know that the factory set-up is never enough if you're in stop and go traffic, the system just can't keep-up, but out on the road it works.

Sure it is a good question! It has been posted on this forum before and everyone had a way to test the amperage draw but no one ever posted the results.

Back