free website stats program how hard is it to replace the drive & friction plates in the clutch | Harley Davidson Forums

how hard is it to replace the drive & friction plates in the clutch

lewis

I have a 77 ironhead and my primary cover was leaking oil, so I pulled the cover off the bike to replace the gasket. I found small parts of the friction plates down in the cover. I know that my clutch will go out soon, what I would like to know is if there is any way that I can replace the plates in the clutch with out having to pull the chain and the clutch shell off. The CLYMER book for sportsters 1959-1985 dose not just tell you replace the plates, just how to remove the clutch. Can any one please help me with this I have never done this before. Thank you for reading my post.

Replacing the clutch plates does not require removal of the clutch basket. Beware of cheap Asian made replacement parts, Barnett has a good reputation. New springs are a good idea while you're in there. Check outer clutch basket for wear and "burrs" from the plates. REMEMBER the order the plates come out.

Lewis, Give this a try.. I typed in 1977 ironhead clutch .. into the right top of the page where it says Search Forum and come up with threads that may help you out..

Your Search Result - Harley Davidson Community

see IF anything here helps..
Others will also answer here so check in regular.

signed....BUBBIE

Great search and post Bubster...

Porkchop2.jpg

Great search and post Bubster...

Porkchop2.jpg
Thanks Glider,,,,,

I'm sharing this with Breeze3at,,,, You Know, He's My brother from another mother,,, Who does the GOOD Posting here........ Eat hardy Bro..:D

signed....BUBBIE

I would like to thank every one for your help in this matter, and may god keep you all safe out on the road. Ride to live and live to ride! Thank you my brothers and my sisters of the road.

Back