free website stats program How hard is it to remove the exhaust? | Harley Davidson Forums

How hard is it to remove the exhaust?

colnajoe

Alright, I tried to cheap it and cut down a 3/16 allen wrench to remove the cam cover without taking off the pipes. Even with that, There were two that were tough, and still cant get to one of them. So it looks like the exhaust is coming off. I have no air tools, so how hard is it going to be to break those nuts free? Any tips out there? I was really trying to avoid the exhaust removal part, bad experience with trying to put them back on with a japanese bike.....

Alright, I tried to cheap it and cut down a 3/16 allen wrench to remove the cam cover without taking off the pipes. Even with that, There were two that were tough, and still cant get to one of them. So it looks like the exhaust is coming off. I have no air tools, so how hard is it going to be to break those nuts free? Any tips out there? I was really trying to avoid the exhaust removal part, bad experience with trying to put them back on with a japanese bike.....

Soak the nuts down with some P B blaster, let it sit about 10 minutes, if they still wont budge, try some heat preferably a heat gun:D

i'm sure the PB blaster will work msybe let it set overnight but use new hardware going back on. on propane torches they make a 2' flex rubber extension. also how about a pencil torch. also cut off a-bit on the long screw that you can't get out before you reinstall a new screw.just a tiny bit of blue threadlocker will keep it secure.

i'm sure you've tryed this but can you take the cover & screw off as a assembly?

you're probably tired of hearing this but if the screw is loose but too long
and you can't get the cover off by leaveing the screw "in the hole" then you could cut the screw off with a cut-off saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
you're probably tired of hearing this but if the screw is loose but too long
and you can't get the cover off by leaveing the screw "in the hole" then you could cut the screw off with a cut-off saw.

Thats a good idea, but there is so little room between the pipes and that screw, I dont even think I could get a saw in there....Maybe a dremmel?

none the less, going out to the garage right now to spray the nuts and let'um soak....

If you have a camera take a few pix before you start. let the PB blaster do it's work. You will need a new exhaust gasket when you reassemble.

I was trying to download the PDF on cam tensioners and I have to have 150 posts? Thats a bummer:bigsmiley15:

I Never use Air tools.. Hand sockets and Normal hand tools..

The pipes come off a little tough but soaking the nuts should work... Move them Out and then a Little In,,, out and in... soak them a little more and that should get them off.Don't snap one off as it is another JOB to replace the studs...

Both front and rear exhaust flanges need to come loose so Pipes come out together to get at the cam-plate cover properly... Bolts 9/16 acorn nut on lower pipe brkt and I do pull the exhaust slip-ons off along with the back cross-over.
I HAVE re-used the exhaust gaskets on My bikes (several times apart) and never had a problem with leaks... IF They were NOT Damaged...

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Looking at the video that HDDon supplied left me feeling good about MY abilities on my bikes :D

The Problem Mostly with the orange shoe is the HEAVY spring tension and the Hard material the shoes are made out of..

The Novice in the video (bless his heart) says that he could Not see any great design change in the Newer Bikes, because of using the Newer nylon type tensioner (WRONG)... They will
outlast orange by bunches of miles. I do believe in my 09 FLHR they will last the full life of the motor.

The oil pressure tensioner IS Far Better/easier than the old HEAVY Spring on the older models...

The old system compared to the new system is like Night and Day...

IF you take yours apart and Look, follow what he did opening the shoe to look... Noticed later he Did Pin the shoe back.

Be careful you don't allow the shoes to SPRING/Snap back as that Can Break/Crack the good used orange shoe, then Replacement is Needed...

I agree he didn't need to replace His Yet. BUT I would NOT have saved that oil.:bigsmiley20:

Some of the chains HD used were Rougher with Sharp Edges and made a big difference in the Short longevity of the orange shoes...

Some bikes had totally gone thru the orange shoes by 8/12 thousand miles..

On my 2000 FXDS i change out to gear drive at about 14 thous. as my outer shoe was 75% gone in the chipping process, plus I had the ball bearing rear cam drive that could go BOOM.

If you go gear drive OR just replace Both shoes, While apart, check crank run out to Know where it is..

I doubt IF a Road King will be as easy on the exhaust removal as the video showed the Softail to be.

Good luck and this apart and together will sharpen your skills.:newsmile105:

signed....BUBBIE

""Both front and rear exhaust flanges need to come loose so Pipes come out together to get at the cam-plate cover properly...

Bubbie......Are you saying that the pipes need to come off from both cylinder heads?

Back