free website stats program How Fast? | Harley Davidson Forums

How Fast?

Dr.Evil

05’ FLSTC, Stage 1
Don’t take this question the wrong way because I do not test this feature of my bike very often. My buddy related the exact same scenario to me last week; he rides an almost identical bike.

It seams that when approaching 100 mph, our bikes do not have much more to give. I don’t think I could ever make it to 110, 105 maybe.

Is this about expected?

Ya gotta remember--we're talkin' Harley. They ain't made for that kinda ridin. 100,105,110--what's the difference? I've been ridin' since '72, & I've hit the ton on a motorcycle ONCE in my lifetime--in 1977,on a Kaw 900 Z-1,in the rain,with a passenger,on the Clearview Expressway, at 3 AM.--have no plans do ever do it again, so who knows or cares!

I can't speak for the 05 softail but my 78HP, 81pf torque, 94FLSTC will push 107mph on a good long stright. If you have the windshield on you are pushing a large frontal area and 700lbs. If you want to go fast you may have the wrong vehicle for the job. My 05 FLTRI has been clocked at 123mph and it punches a much better hole in the air.

Ya gotta remember--we're talkin' Harley. They ain't made for that kinda ridin. 100,105,110--what's the difference? I've been ridin' since '72, & I've hit the ton on a motorcycle ONCE in my lifetime--in 1977,on a Kaw 900 Z-1,in the rain,with a passenger,on the Clearview Expressway, at 3 AM.--have no plans do ever do it again, so who knows or cares!

These are not much in the way of valu added responses.

I am trying to find out if there may be a tuning issue, or is this exaclly what I should expect. If my bike never went over 80mph, that would be fine me. Surely there some speed junkies here somewhare.

Not to offend, but why would a person want to go this fast on a cruiser? Isn't the max speed limit 55-60 on state hwys & 70-75 on most interstates...unless you plan to take the scoot down a 1/4 mile strip - there's really no need to know...;-)

If speed's your thrill ride - time to trade/buy a v-rod.

I am trying to find out if there may be a tuning issue, or is this exaclly what I should expect. If my bike never went over 80mph, that would be fine me. Surely there some speed junkies here somewhare.
"IS this about expected?" I guess you are asking what is the "normal' top speed. IF 75 mph is 'normal' then you would be happy with your bike only going 75 mph - because that is 'normal' -- I understand your question, but dont know what that normal top speed is in high gear. Maybe the HD website gives top speed information.

Bill

05’ FLSTC, Stage 1
Don’t take this question the wrong way because I do not test this feature of my bike very often. My buddy related the exact same scenario to me last week; he rides an almost identical bike.

It seams that when approaching 100 mph, our bikes do not have much more to give. I don’t think I could ever make it to 110, 105 maybe.

Is this about expected?

Same for my ultra with a stage 1. Hits a wall at ~100-105. 5th gear is better than 6th. Not a habit for me. I did it once just to know.

05’ FLSTC, Stage 1

Is this about expected?

What is the complete set-up on your scoot... i.e. cams,crank??????

Not to offend, but why would a person want to go this fast on a cruiser? Isn't the max speed limit 55-60 on state hwys & 70-75 on most interstates...unless you plan to take the scoot down a 1/4 mile strip - there's really no need to know...;-)

If speed's your thrill ride - time to trade/buy a v-rod.

Nobody seams to be reading this thread correctly.

I DO NOT WANT TO RIDE FAST
I DID NOT BUY A HARLEY TO RIDE FAST
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO RIDES FAST
Once upon a time..... I rode fast, trying to keep up with my friends stage 2 Duce, and I noticed about 100mph was about the limit of my bike.

I would just like to find out if my bike should be faster than this, and if so does this indicat that there may be an issue with the motor.

In the back of my mind I new this question would be a problem, but I am genuinely interested in the answer if there is one.

Thank you all in advance. This site is an itch you can scratch.

Back