free website stats program How do you read this HD oil temp gauge??? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do you read this HD oil temp gauge???

oiler

I put this HD oil temp gauge in last year and I still can't figure it out. I know alot of you have the same gauge and I want to know how you guys read it. Is 230 deg at the dark center line or is it the black dot on the left? To me the increments don’t add up no matter how you look at it. Thanks.

Attachments

• Oil Temp Gauge 001.jpg
    Oil Temp Gauge 001.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 186
That's the type of gauge that you need to have a dozen beers to read:D

It's a harley product, do you want it to be accurate too?:D

Wouldn't doubt if it was made offshore.

110 deg is low limit line the 180 deg is the 1st dot, 230 deg is to the left, 260 deg is to next and 350 deg is max.

110 deg is low limit line the 180 deg is the 1st dot, 230 deg is to the left, 260 deg is to next and 350 deg is max.

But if you read the increment lines they don't add up to the proper temps on the gauge. 110* to 180* actually is 170* etc. 230* is actually correct from where I'm sitting.

I made it BIGGER for you NHD :lolrolling

6650d1275165290-how_do_you_read_this_hd_oil_temp_gauge-oil_temp_gauge_001.jpg

I would argue the increment lines are 10 degress apart since the scale appears to be linear. Therefore, 1st dot is 140 degrees, 2nd is 200 degrees, third is 260 degrees, and 4th is 320 degrees. But I'll also bet, like most gages, it's not really linear ;-)

But if you read the increment lines they don't add up to the proper temps on the gauge. 110* to 180* actually is 170* etc. 230* is actually correct from where I'm sitting.

Thats what I thought too Glider. Increments of 10 starting at 110 deg adds up to 230 at the dark center line, but after that ???? The reason I am asking is because when I went out for a ride this morning the outside temp was around 75 - 80 and the oil temp gauge was reading at the dot on the left of the 230 deg. I am hoping that the center line is actually 230 which means my oil temp was at 200 deg. 2009 SG with stage 1 air box, TFI and Rienhart muffs.

But if you read the increment lines they don't add up to the proper temps on the guage. 110* to 180* actually is 170* etc. 230* is actually correct from where I'm sitting.

I made it BIGGER for you NHD :lolrolling

6650d1275165290-how_do_you_read_this_hd_oil_temp_gauge-oil_temp_gauge_001.jpg

Awww thanks Glider...I guess if I go to a bagger, I'm gonna have to take ya up on the few beers thing. Like the replay judge says...after further review the dot markings are "not a part of the play" and the line judge upstairs has ruled! The guage graduations ARE supposed to be 10 deg increments, but the accuracy below 1/2 scale being that linear and accurate is probably not a call for further review...but from center 230 deg is indeed the likely center graduation not the dot and holy cow the scale does go all the way up to 350 deg. I'm glad I don't wear a Zebra suit to have had to make the initial call and be overridden by the judge upstairs! :small3d007:

Last edited:
It's not liniar and the "dot" is midway between the two digital references on the gauge.

Dot 1 -145
Dot 2 -205
Dot 3 -245
Dot 4 -305

LiL - Well I never noticed those dots before, I had a look and I see all the gauges except the tach and speedo have them.

I noted my fuel starts with 6 increments between the dots then 7 for the next and 7 for the final.

Certainly not sure why there there, but someone seems to have gone to great trouble to add them, can't wait to here the answer.

I replaced my OAT guage w/ the McEwan oil temp guage and it is just as difficult to read as the HD guage. I think rscalzo is correct as the numbers don't correspond to the "dots", they correspond to the longer "dashes".

Back