free website stats program How do you know when brakes are worn? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do you know when brakes are worn?

tucks

I have a 92 fat boy only had it a couple years but can seem to see if my brakes are worn front and back is there a way i can see them?

As part of regular maintenance of my bikes i remove the brake pads and clean any dirt and debris from the calliper a light coat of copper grease on the sliding parts (pins at the front and the guides at the rear) and a coat of copper grease on the backing plates of the pads to stop squeal
this is done at least once a year
As all my bikes have the same brakes i keep a set of spare pads for front and rear in my shed just for when they are needed

Brian

It may involve a little contorsion, but with a small mirror and flashlight you will be able to see the pad against the rotor. With Smitty's info, you can pretty much "guesstimate" how much pad is left.

I have a 92 fat boy only had it a couple years but can seem to see if my brakes are worn front and back is there a way i can see them?

Most disc pads have two methods to determine brake pad wear...

1) The backing plate where the brake pad is bonded to has a raised area off the base, or a clip that will drag against the rotor and cause the characteristic "squeal" we all know and love :(

2) The friction pad has a radial groove that runs to visible edge to 1/32" or so. Check for the groove in the center, if visible edge on both inner/outer pads, they are good. Use inspection mirror :22:

Last edited:
Well HD pads are are about the best you can get for your bike and for the pads the price is right.
Aftermarket is seldom as good as they try to make you think it is

I went to the dealer last evening and bought a set of brake pads for both front rotors on a late model touring bike. I gave them a $100.00 and they gave me .12 back. Don't really know what aftermarket would cost as I never priced them. With ABS on my bike, I didn't want to try another brand and take a chance. Outside of being dusty, the Harley brake pads have been good. That said, I find that cleaning the dust off the wheels at least once a week will keep them from being pitted. That brake dust is evil stuff.

I find most times when its time for new tires its time for brakes JMO

Back