free website stats program how do I retard timing on 65 FL | Harley Davidson Forums

how do I retard timing on 65 FL

blewcrab

I have an auto advance dist. on my 65 pan kick only ......bike starts fine cold... but when I try to start hot the kick back is not normal...hurt my leg twice...now I have to do something about it...Im thinking the timing has to be retarded, for easier starts...what is the procedure to slightly retard timing / auto advance ... Thanks

I have an auto advance dist. on my 65 pan kick only ......bike starts fine cold... but when I try to start hot the kick back is not normal...hurt my leg twice...now I have to do something about it...Im thinking the timing has to be retarded, for easier starts...what is the procedure to slightly retard timing / auto advance ... Thanks

To retard the timing, loosen the distributor clamp and turn the assembly clockwise a tiny bit. Lock down and see what you got. This may not solve the problem. This old type breaker system is prone to wear, and just the slop in the advance weights, dist. drive gear, etc. can effect the overall timing from hot to cold.

To retard the timing, loosen the distributor clamp and turn the assembly clockwise a tiny bit. Lock down and see what you got. This may not solve the problem. This old type breaker system is prone to wear, and just the slop in the advance weights, dist. drive gear, etc. can effect the overall timing from hot to cold.

I can see My dad FORGETTING to roll the left handle-bar grip to Retard the SPARK setting and YOU know the rest of that story..:small3d015:

Beautiful 1951 Pan. hydraglide.. First New bike he ever bought, ? around a 1000 :newsmile093: decked out.

signed....BUBBIE

This should do the trick, on my 60 FL I had a spring on the Distributor, Full advance, I would turn it manually like Breeze said and give it 1-2 kicks it never failed to start, never much cared for newer automatic advance set ups

with auto advance dist. I cant simply turn the dist.. I see 2 slotted adjustments on the breaker plate... do I adjust the timing using these 2 slots

with auto advance dist. I cant simply turn the dist.. I see 2 slotted adjustments on the breaker plate... do I adjust the timing using these 2 slots

I Don't Know Why Not????

I have seen them RE-modified to use the left grip and wire Like the Old days..

Loosen and it will turn...

Tight enough to HOLD but loose enough to Move by a little help..

Mark it good and it is easy to turn Back to the proper timing.

signed....BUBBIE

I Don't Know Why Not????

I have seen them RE-modified to use the left grip and wire Like the Old days..

Loosen and it will turn...

Tight enough to HOLD but loose enough to Move by a little help..

Mark it good and it is easy to turn Back to the proper timing.

signed....BUBBIE

I believe blewcrab is saying he has non adjustable distributor housing and that the breaker plate is the adjustment.:s

You should be able to adjust timing using the breaker plate. Mark the current position with a marker pen before changing it.

Last edited:
I believe blewcrab is saying he has non adjustable distributor housing and that the breaker plate is the adjustment.:s

You should be able to adjust timing using the breaker plate. Mark the current position with a marker pen before changing it.

I would have to Look at His dist. IF permanent I think it MIGHT be able to be made to move enough???

Just the way I'd try to do it.. Nothing is permanent when You Want it to be:laugh

signed....BUBBIE

With a big enough hammer, anything can move but It's best to do it the right way IMO.:D

1965 Harley-Davidson FLH-1200 Parts,

IF this is the One HE uses that you show, It is exactly like the one i'd leave a Wee Bit LOOSE... I would MOVE the whole dist. by Leaving the part number 240 a little Loose... Moving as necessary...

Part #240 held by #180 would allow the dist to move Like I said it would IF i'm looking at the right one Pictured and he is using.... The spring plate V shoe hold down works to hold it down and loosen #180(nut) allows for My adjustment.

I guess it is in the eye of the Modifier..:newsmile063:

signed....BUBBIE

Back