free website stats program how do I get this off? | Harley Davidson Forums

how do I get this off?

marcus22

Hey all!
attached is a pic of the o-ring i need to replace. question is how do i get it out? do i have to in through the transmission cover?

thanks for all the help

marcus

Attachments

• DSC08472.jpg
    DSC08472.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 137
Hey all!
attached is a pic of the o-ring i need to replace. question is how do i get it out? do i have to in through the transmission cover?

thanks for all the help

marcus

A good way is to do it is to drill a small pilot hole on opposing sides and then thread in some sheet metal screws a couple of threads. Alternate pulling on each screw to "walk" the seal out. Clean out the area carefully before installing the new seal. Or here is a cooler way - check about half to 2/3 down the pix in here:

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

As TQ said a small pilot hole in the metal part of the seal then as we call it here a self tapping screw i then being a bit on the rough side use the claw end of a crow bar or claw hammer under the head of the screw with a piece of wood against the gearbox to lever on and the seals just pop out

Brian

T Q and Fin have you covered here, If you have a slide hammer you could use the screw and the slide hammer to pop it out, you may also try a pin punch and crush it towards the center, it will pop out then also

like always, you guys are the best! thanks for the ideas. I have to wait until tomorrow to continue on the bike. I will let you know how it all works out.

Marcus

Well I finally got it all back together and tested the bike out and it runs sweet!
I will post pictures next

ok so, the reason I had to take all of the primary and clutch off was to get at the leaking seal, but I also replaced a scratched up inner primary cover at the same time.

DSC08460.jpg picture by marcus8705 - Photobucket

and here is the new one on the bike:

DSC08487.jpg picture by marcus8705 - Photobucket

and here is how I got the leaking oil seal off:

DSC08473.jpg picture by marcus8705 - Photobucket

Last edited by a moderator:
Back