free website stats program How Difficult.... | Harley Davidson Forums

How Difficult....

Steve Di.

is it to install and program a Power Commander?

The bike is a Softail Deluxe running V & H Long shots. I currently have a Fuel Pak, but am looking for something better.

Would you recommend that I try the installation and programming myself or pay a shop $500 to install the unit?

I have worked with the Fuel Pak and found it to be rather easy to use. It just isn't doing what it was designed to do.

Yes, money is an issue.

Thanks for your input

Bought a PCIII from my local indy. It came with a cd with different maps. I installed the PCIII, connected my computer, loaded a map and tried it out. don't think its too very hard to install. If your PC comes with a map cd, iits east to change maps also. good luck, go for it, you can do it.

It just isn't doing what it was designed to do.

I never have used a fuel pack, but you couldn't get it to run right using all 18 modes? Having no cams and being pre O2 sensors with Delphi FI, I would think finding the right selection would not be that hard.(?) At least it should not be.

My guess is you have another issue with the bike that is effecting the performance, and the fuel pack is getting blamed.

There is more to the story....the bike is running very lean when the recommended modes are used (V & H Long Shots, High Flow Breather). In an attempt to deal with the issue, I called V & H and talked to one of their techs and was given several work around settings. Still no luck.

I suspect an intake leak, because the bike has almost 18,000 and has been running lean. The idle is too low, as though it isn't getting enough fuel, it coughs between 2nd and 3rd gear, and pops during deceleration. I think it may be time to change the intake manifold gasket.

The gasket is going to be replaced next week and hopefully, the Fuel Pak will be able to what it is supposed to do.

If the Fuel Pak doesn't work well, I will buy a Power Commander and put it in myself. I have a Power Commander on my Heritage and it runs great.

That is the rest of the story....

A quick update:

I pulled the trigger on the Power Commander. I ordered a PC V from Fuel Moto USA. The cost is $299.00 and it comes pre-programmed, with a USB cable and map disk.

I tested for an air leak and didn't find one. The only remaining culprit is the Fuel Pak. Adios to the Fuel Pak.

Does anyone want to buy it? :D

A quick update:

I pulled the trigger on the Power Commander. I ordered a PC V from Fuel Moto USA. The cost is $299.00 and it comes pre-programmed, with a USB cable and map disk.

I tested for an air leak and didn't find one. The only remaining culprit is the Fuel Pak. Adios to the Fuel Pak.

Does anyone want to buy it? :D

I'd take it.......:smell

For FREE that is and you pay the shipping.....

I LOVE my TFI and that is all i need.....

You can get a pre programmed PC from Jamie at fuel moto that will be close to your setup if that will be good for you.

Fuel Moto USA

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered the Power Command V and it came preloaded with the map for the bike. It was as easy as plug and play.

The bike now runs great with no popping, searching, and any of the other things it was doing.

Back