free website stats program How did this happen? | Harley Davidson Forums

How did this happen?

Sunnysideup

Water had gotten into my transmission recently somehow and has turned the oil milky yellow. Yes we have had lots of rain in the south recently but this is not normal. Thankfully I did not ride it very long in this condition but is it seriously harmful?

Bike always kept under shelter and usually covered as well.

Should not be very harmfull if you do the following; Drain the trans oil, flush the trans with a mild parts cleaner or Kerosene, let the trans drain for at least a day to get all the cleaner out, and then fill with your favority trans oil. Be sure that you replace both o-rings. ride the bike for 20 miles or so and drain the oil again.

Should not be very harmfull if you do the following; Drain the trans oil, flush the trans with a mild parts cleaner or Kerosene, let the trans drain for at least a day to get all the cleaner out, and then fill with your favority trans oil. Be sure that you replace both o-rings. ride the bike for 20 miles or so and drain the oil again.

and refill :p

wonder how water got in there in the first place??? did you check the trans oil level??? how high was it??? just wondering if water got in or is it just some condensation??? if it's much higher than normal, then water got in somehow. you better find out how, or it will happen again.

and refill :p

wonder how water got in there in the first place??? did you check the trans oil level??? how high was it??? just wondering if water got in or is it just some condensation??? if it's much higher than normal, then water got in somehow. you better find out how, or it will happen again.

Or is it do to short trips and the bike not rode far enough for the oil to get hot enough to evaporate condensation???

Evaporate to where? I think it comes out of the rubber hose on the top of transmission?

Correct there is a breather for the condensation to evaporate out of. So has there been alot of short trips that has caused oil to not get to full temp to evaporate water???? Which could be a cause of water in trans oil...

Correct there is a breather for the condensation to evaporate out of. So has there been alot of short trips that has caused oil to not get to full temp to evaporate water???? Which could be a cause of water in trans oil...

+1 on the above post(s). Humid conditions and/or cold or cool mornings with short rides will cause this. Happened on my Evo when riding in 40* temps in November last year and noticed milkiness in my oil tank.

+1 on the above post(s). Humid conditions and/or cold or cool mornings with short rides will cause this. Happened on my Evo when riding in 40* temps in November last year and noticed milkiness in my oil tank.

I can see this happening with engine oil, the tranny does not have waste from combustion like the engine, that said I would be looking at the vent and re routing it to higher position JMO

Back