free website stats program How can I make CB stronger | Harley Davidson Forums

How can I make CB stronger

joel

Not much of a wizard on this but wondering if the strength of the CB can be increased for more distance, can this unit accept a bigger lithium crystal or am I on the wrong thought. If anyone has upgraded the CB for better distance, please give me some ideas, thanks, I looked through history on this here but didn't find anything.

Better antena and a power compresion mic. There is not much tunning that you can do to the newer CB radios.

awall is right, a better antenna (more gain), a power mic increases modulation. Of course on a bike the ground plane for the antenna is a bit limited, and that affects antenna gain. There are some "booster" units for the output side but they are illeagal, take a lot of input power, and with a bike you are a bit limited with amps from the battery/charging system. Not to mention I am not sure what excess EMF from a booster might do to the "brain" that drives all the electonics on newer bikes. And then there is the FCC, who takes a real dim view of the things.

The best you can do is to have an antenna that is matched to your radio with the lowest SWR ( Standing wave ratio) you can get which in turn allows your radio to have its maximum power going out through antenna as opposed to being reflected back to radio.

Back