free website stats program Houston, We Might Have A Problem.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Houston, We Might Have A Problem....

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
Okay everyone, it may not be that bad, it may only cost us $15-18K to remedy the situation.

Here's the problem: I rode 'his' bike yesterday. :D He said I could I promise. :lero

Seriously, he told me that I should take his bike out a bit this year since he can't, but I just haven't had much time to ride either bike. So, yesterday, I had a couple of errands to run and since his bike has the bags and all, well I'm sure you all understand.

I was very nervous starting off, mainly because it was his bike and I was on my own. I never feel that nervous taking off on my bike. :) I just didn't want anything to happen while on 'his' bike.

So, here is the problem: I am tooling up the road, just getting comfortable with things, trying to relax. After four miles or so, I start tinkering. I turn the radio up. The Ipod doesn't help by kicking out some great tunes for the bike. I start thinking that 'I still don't like these grips' (we took the grips that came on my bike and put them on his bike because he liked them, I hated them & apparently still do).

Next thing I know I am thinking 'This bike is pretty comfy' as I lean back on the back rest.

By the time I get my 2 stops in and am heading home, I am cranking the radio up, thinking 'If I am going to keep riding this bike, I need to move the highway pegs'. He has a 36" inseam, I am a 32"......we have a problem. :D I wonder if you can put 2 sets of pegs on the bars....one higher and further away, and another set lower and up about 4". :lolrolling

He always said that there was a pattern that after I rode his bike he was always looking for a new one. :D He may be right, but this time I may let him keep his bike & I'll be shopping. :s

I have had my eye on a road king for the longest time, but when I find one I like, finances aren't right and when the finances are right, I can't find a bike I like. But, I think I will have to look into getting a good ride on a road king before I buy. :D I see a rental in my future. :D :D I won't need to ride it far, I proved that yesterday. The total trip was less than 30 miles.

And, since I was being adventurous and riding in shorts, I am happy to report that I didn't even burn my leg backing his bike back into the garage. :D

Now, I have to take my bike out today! :cheers

Ahh yes. The "old I rode one, now I want one" bug. I understand it all too well.:s:s Well, when the time is right, You know what you must do.:):):)

Ahh yes. The "old I rode one, now I want one" bug. I understand it all too well.:s:s Well, when the time is right, You know what you must do.:):):)
Ahh, yes, you are correct. I was afraid that might happen. :) And yes, it will work out and everything will fall into place.

When I bought my deuce, there was absolutely no doubt anywhere, so I am confident that when I find my next bike, it will talk to me like the deuce did and there will be no questions about it. :s

One last thought on the his and hers rides, his bike is practical, comfortable, and fun. My bike is sporty and fun....can't really give it practical for some reasons....but did I mention it is fun? :) Kind of like our vehicles, his truck is practical, comfortable and rides way better than my mustang. But, the mustang is fun to drive and sporty. :) And, the 'stang also gets 24-28 mpg. :s So, if you can take the ride, it is more practical than his truck if you don't have to carry much or haul the dogs. :D

Joy,

I feel you pain!! I rented an Ultra back in December of last year, in March, I became the proud, and I do mean PROUD, owner of one!!!

It's only money, we make it all the time.........go ahead and make that jump!!

You'll be glad you did!!

Sounds similar to my purchase back in April.

I had always rode sport bikes. I was just getting to the point where cruisers were sounding like a good option. I was out running errands with the Wife and dogs, and we happened to be going right past an HD dealership on the way home. No reason to stop at all, but I did. I walked the floor and did not see anything I really wanted, headed towards the door when I heard the sales guy say, "I have a room full of some other bikes if you want to take a look at them." So we walked next door, and he opened the store room. Still nothing that really struck me, until I got almost to the end of the row and saw the Heritage.

Ended up walking out without doing more than sitting on it. We had the dogs in the car, and I was not dressed for a test ride. It was all just an impulse stop anyway. We went home and started doing the chores, but that bike kept calling that I really needed to do a test ride. The day was getting late on a Saturday, and the dealerships are not open on Sundays around here due to old blue laws. After some smooth talking, more begging really, my bride decided to shut me up by running back down for a test ride. We ended up riding a Dyna that she liked, and then the Softie. As I said, they were not open on Sunday... I called on Monday and made an offer. We picked the bike up on Tuesday.

Some things just call to the soul that now is the time and place. I am very glad I heeded that call and made the impulse stop, that the sales guy caught me before I left and showed me the other room, and that this bike was waiting in quiet expectation for me to spot it. My wife, on the other hand, cursed all those things. Right up until she finished a Safety Course to learn how to ride herself. She is not ready to be on the Softtail, but she has been eying some of the smaller bikes with a look that tells me I need to find room in the garage next spring.

I have always had in the wind bikes, my dad always had baggers, best of both worlds as we used to trade off all the time. My wife could sit on the back of his ultras all day long. Shame the clown in the cage ran that stop sign, he is missed dearly.

I had just finished a restoration of a honda i got as a box of bits wife rode it to nearest bike garage for mot inspection i was with her on my bmw saw a cute wee bike when i was there went back 2 days later and bought the sportster
when i got it home wife jumped on had a quick run and decided she wanted it
so i had to get her one as well
2 years later i bumped into a very good deal on a softail and bought it wife had a quick go on it and decided she wanted a big twin also so it ended up being a wide glide
so now im staying with the bike ive got and i wont have to get another for the wife

Joy i feel the pain of your ever loving man

Brian

Sounds similar to my purchase back in April.

I had always rode sport bikes. I was just getting to the point where cruisers were sounding like a good option. I was out running errands with the Wife and dogs, and we happened to be going right past an HD dealership on the way home. No reason to stop at all, but I did. I walked the floor and did not see anything I really wanted, headed towards the door when I heard the sales guy say, "I have a room full of some other bikes if you want to take a look at them." So we walked next door, and he opened the store room. Still nothing that really struck me, until I got almost to the end of the row and saw the Heritage.

Ended up walking out without doing more than sitting on it. We had the dogs in the car, and I was not dressed for a test ride. It was all just an impulse stop anyway. We went home and started doing the chores, but that bike kept calling that I really needed to do a test ride. The day was getting late on a Saturday, and the dealerships are not open on Sundays around here due to old blue laws. After some smooth talking, more begging really, my bride decided to shut me up by running back down for a test ride. We ended up riding a Dyna that she liked, and then the Softie. As I said, they were not open on Sunday... I called on Monday and made an offer. We picked the bike up on Tuesday.

Some things just call to the soul that now is the time and place. I am very glad I heeded that call and made the impulse stop, that the sales guy caught me before I left and showed me the other room, and that this bike was waiting in quiet expectation for me to spot it. My wife, on the other hand, cursed all those things. Right up until she finished a Safety Course to learn how to ride herself. She is not ready to be on the Softtail, but she has been eying some of the smaller bikes with a look that tells me I need to find room in the garage next spring.

LOL, I know that feeling all to well. I saw the deuce in NC and sat on it, never started it up and thought if we left I would be okay. That was on a Sunday, and by the time I got back to WV I knew I was going to own that bike. I called the dealer at 9:00 sharp the next morning and put a deposit on it, and that Wednesday, my husband & his buddy drove down and picked the bike up. :)

I had just finished a restoration of a honda i got as a box of bits wife rode it to nearest bike garage for mot inspection i was with her on my bmw saw a cute wee bike when i was there went back 2 days later and bought the sportster
when i got it home wife jumped on had a quick run and decided she wanted it
so i had to get her one as well
2 years later i bumped into a very good deal on a softail and bought it wife had a quick go on it and decided she wanted a big twin also so it ended up being a wide glide
so now im staying with the bike ive got and i wont have to get another for the wife

Joy i feel the pain of your ever loving man

Brian

Brian, I can't wait to tell him that he's not the only soul in that boat. :D

Joy, I have the opposite , My wife doesnt show interest in riding anymore, so I am down from a bagger to a solo seat Streetbob, wish there was a simple answer here for you:s

As I'm the only one in my house that does the mechanical work then i get to work on all 3 bikes on my own
and whenever i have spent money on a bike i always tell her that her bike needed the parts (usually thats the truth)

Brian

Back