free website stats program Hot weather helmet | Harley Davidson Forums

Hot weather helmet

bfmitch

I've got a problem (some would say I have many problems). I seem to generate lots of heat on the top of my head. Enough that I leave the vents open on my helmet when the temperatures are in the forties.

I've been looking for a helmet that has really great venting. I'm starting to think that what I want doesn't exist.

I've tried half shell helmets. They keep your face and ears cool but no air flow gets to the top of my head. I went back to my Shoei RJ Platinum helmet.

I tried the GMax 27S. It has lots and lots of air channels inside and vents on the back that make you look like Godzilla. I went back to the Shoei helmet.

Here's what I think I've learned. My Shoei helmet is just a touch large for me. That GMax helmet fit me exactly. I'm thinking that the Shoei flows the air better because it is not pulled as tightly on my head. Because of that I'm considering the GMax 27S in the next size up.

I could always go helmetless but I'm not comfortable with that idea. I've whacked my head so many times over the years that I feel like I need the protection.

Has anybody discovered a DOT helmet that has really good airflow through it?

Thanks Hobbit. Those look like some seriously vented helmets. However, according to their USA website, there are no US dealers yet. Maybe they want to get DOT certified in addition to ECE certified before they sell here.

I don't remember the brand name, think it was Coolmax but it just doesn't sound right. It's a helmet insert that you put on before you throw on the helmet, and it keeps your knoggin cool. There's a local store here called Iron Pony (Ironpony.com) that carries them, see if I can make it out there and get the name of 'em for you.

I've never found a well ventilated helmet either. One thing that does help is wearing a white one. A black helmet is the worst because it absorbs heat from the sun.

John

I have a gloss silver Arai Corsair-V. I needed something light as my dark red Fulmer modular was pretty heavy and pressed on the right side of my head. In a half hour it felt like someone was jamming a pencil into my skull. I tried re-sewing the pad and it gave me about 10 more minutes then pain. And it is hot. There's a couple of vents but I don't think they work very well.

The Arai Corsair-V is a full face for maximum protection and has a ton of vents. You can also slightly open the face shield about 1/8" locked while riding. Very comfortable and my (wierd shaped noggin) head isn't getting hot. Although we've been having some really nice cool weather here in So Cal lately. I'll have to report back when it does get really hot. Hopefully not for a while yet.

never found one that would flow enough air on a 100 degree day they are always unconfortable at least for me.. I did usr one of those bicicle helmets painted black to be less noticable.. LOL worked great till a cop noticed and gave me the ticket :D

never found one that would flow enough air on a 100 degree day they are always unconfortable at least for me.. I did usr one of those bicicle helmets painted black to be less noticable.. LOL worked great till a cop noticed and gave me the ticket :D

I thought of getting a bicycle helmet and putting some of the same mesh that is used in jackets in the gaps. Make up a DOT sticker for the back and there you go.

A black helmet is the worst because it absorbs heat from the sun.

John

I used to believe the same thing. It seems like common sense. While a black helmet heats up better because it is absorbing more wavelenghts of light that same helmet radiates heat better as it is radiating more wavelengths. That should make it cool more quickly. (Do a google search on "black body radiator".) I also read a report (that I can't find now) that concluded that helmet color made no difference when there was air flowing over the helmet. The report went on to state that the EPS (styrofoam) insulation in the helmet made it so that the sun wasn't the real problem. The real problem is the heat generated by the head under the helmet. That heat is trapped by the EPS against the head. In other words good ventilation is really the answer to the problem.

I'd like to answer this helmet color question, once and for all. I want to buy a chrome helmet and a gloss white helmet from Leatherup (cheap). I'll set those two, and a black one I already have in the sun with a temperature probe underneath them and see what happens. I'll do that on a still day and a breezy day.

Now I just need to convince the wife that I need to buy a couple more helmets and temperature probes. That shouldn't be too hard.

I also have an Arai corsair and I'm quite happy with its ventilation.
Problem is I wanted something more usable during the hot season without loosing too much in safety terms.
I ened up buying a Shubert J1 Helmet (sorry I can't post a direct link but just look for it in google).
I'm really happy with it: it is very good for head cooling and really comfortable.
In addition you have the chin guard hoop that gives extra protection vs regular 3/4 face helmets. If you do a little google search you'll find that it compares to good full faced helmets in terms of head protection but yet you have the extra comfort of a 3/4.

Back