free website stats program Hot Weather and XiEDs | Harley Davidson Forums

Hot Weather and XiEDs

RickyBobby

Well, a couple weeks ago, I finally decided to try the XiEDs kit from Nightrider.
I had debated on doing that or adding an oil cooler. Since I could not find a negative post on any forum about them and since it would have cost me more money to install an oil cooler and since that would leave me with hoses that could possibly leak, a cooler that sits there and doesn't look all that great on a Street Bob, I bit the bullet and ordered the set for my Dyna. I have a '06 and they make them for just that model, 88ci. It is because I found out that 06 dynas have a Delphi ECM that MoCo installed to test them before making them standard on all '07 models.
So, I ordered and got the two plug ins in only a couple days. They shipped priority mail. I'll admit that is an awful small package for $110.
So, I got the two harnesses installed very easily and it only took me 1/2 hr.
I was sure ready to give the XiEDs a try. I no sooner got the bike started when I could actually feel the faster response to the throttle. I then had to run an errand and I sat at 3 or 4 traffic lights. I held my hand near the pipes and I thought I could feel a difference of the pipes being cooler. I have never measure engine temp before or after, but it is a seat of the pants kinda thing. So, I rode to the gas station and thought on the way to it, that maybe I should try regular for a test. I had to put about 3 1/2 gallons in to fill they tank.
I rode the bike to work and back 4 days and the ambient temps where high 90's. Well, not one ping on regular and the engine sounded great and that little surge I used to feel in the throttle going through the lower gears was gone.
I am just stating my experiences and not promoting a product, but I am glad I went to the XiEDs instead of oil cooler, which I would have worried about in cold weather, even though I would have gotten the adapter with the thermostat. I hope this mod keeps on being this good, if I ever have an issue with it, then I will post that too. I should mention that Nightrider says you can get false engine codes. I haven't checked, but I never saw the check engine lamp come on. The reason is because the XiEDs trick the Delphi ECM into richening up the fuel ratio. I expect to lose a bit of fuel mileage, but if I can keep running on regular,then there will be a big savings at the pump. I can feel no loss of power so far, but I did have premium in the tank and it mixed.
Sorry for long post, but someone of you might have been thinking about this mod too. If they pass the proposed law in California requiring smog testing motorcycles, I will definitely have to pull the XiEDs off, but my pipes will have to be changed too and I threw my old ones away a couple years ago, along with the fuel tank vent canister that is on California models. That law better not cost, or there are going to a lot of unhappy campers in this state.

not sure i would run regular in it on a long term basis.I did for about a week last year(fuel shortages last sept. in Ga.)and you could only tell by pulling te plugs it was running "off".went back to premium and all went back to normal.The moral of the story is spend the extra $.10 a gallon and know all is good or risk it and do a valve job.I'm just sayin,Dave...

I wouldn't run regular in these bikes. At the very least a mid grade or a high test. The only person you are fooling is yourself. You can pay the extra cost for the higher grade now or pay it to do a valve job down the road.

Hi Glider. What happens to the valves with regular? Does the longer burn of regular gas burn the valve edges? I guess it might be the less explosive power of the regular gas does the damage.
I have always used 91 octane (good as I find in CA) and even when the weather gets hot it would ping on heavy throttle use or pulling up the grapevine. That caused me to back off, drop a gear and use less throttle.
So far I have not had any issue. Now I'll do a good test today. I need gas before starting out, I was going to fill with regular again. Since I have the day off today for a holiday, I was going to ride up to a friends house in Lake Isabella and that is about 3000 elev. I have pinged on that climb through the canyon and it will be 103 degrees predicted today.
I will put premium in. I can always experiment more when the weather turns cool.

With the lower octane, there's always a possibility to burn the valves requiring a valve job to correct it. Read Smitty's post for more info.

Thanks Smitty and Glider. I don't know why, but for me it is hard to get it straight about fuel. I continually think of octane backwards.

I will use premium and quit playing around. I rode a couple hours today. I filled up with shell premium. I don't feel any difference in power today, it is hot, about 103 predicted, but the engine is running smooth and to me, cooler. I have no way to check temperature, but it feels as though the pipes are cooler. It has been reported that engines run about 35-45 degrees cooler with the extra fuel of the ratio I am supposed to have now. I can feel it is different in lower gears and especially holding second gear.

Thanks guys :)

My experience with the XIED's for my 07 RKC was very similar to yours. I'm very happy with the way these things perform FOR ME. Maybe not everyone will like them as they cannot be adjusted AFR wise, but on my totaly stock bike, they are teriffic. Just my .02.
Jer

Dynacologist, yes you helped and thank you for the reply. I didn't mean to slight you, I forgot as I was typing. I mean huntin' and peckin'.

We still pards?
I am always open for correction. Making mistakes is like a clumsy habit for me, I should call myself Kramer. Clumsy, not a hipster dufas :D

With the lower octane, there's always a possibility to burn the valves requiring a valve job to correct it. Read Smitty's post for more info.

I failed to mention here that with using a low octane fuel that detonation which is usually caused by carbon buildup, use of low octane fuel (old fuel loses octane rapidly),over-advanced ignition timing or even lugging the engine . Pinging is a possibility too.
Pinging if bad enough should be audible and a warning sign to take corrective measures. However if due to the nature of the beast (an air cooled engine on a motorcycle) you don't recognize or even hear the pinging, it can if not attended to eventually damage the piston tops and even in severe cases punch through the pistons themselves requiring a costly rebuild.

Back