free website stats program Homemade Tank Lift... | Harley Davidson Forums

Homemade Tank Lift...

After trying to find a 2" tank lift kit for my 2008 fxdc, I ended up making my own. Used some 1/8" x 3/4" flat aluminum stock, and a piece of galvanized pipe. Cut 2 pieces from the flat aluminum stock that were 2 3/4" long with holes drilled 2" apart. Cut the galvanized pipe to 3" long to use as a spacer between the gas tank mounting tabs. I needed to buy a bolt ( to go through the spacer and the tank mounting tabs) , 4 chrome washers and 2 chrome acorn nuts. I have about $11 invested. I owe firedyna thanks for giving me info about removing the tank, and encouragement. I was reluctant to tackle this mod because I's never been mechanical inclined. Here are a couple of pics.

dyna-rider-albums-pg-picture6451-fxdc_tank_lift_004.jpg

dyna-rider-albums-pg-picture6450-fxdc_tank_lift_002.jpg

It makes it easier to clean, and some people say that raising the tank helps the engine to run cooler. I don't know if that is factual though.

After trying to find a 2" tank lift kit for my 2008 fxdc, I ended up making my own. Used some 1/8" x 3/4" flat aluminum stock, and a piece of galvanized pipe. Cut 2 pieces from the flat aluminum stock that were 2 3/4" long with holes drilled 2" apart. Cut the galvanized pipe to 3" long to use as a spacer between the gas tank mounting tabs. I needed to buy a bolt ( to go through the spacer and the tank mounting tabs) , 4 chrome washers and 2 chrome acorn nuts. I have about $11 invested. I owe firedyna thanks for giving me info about removing the tank, and encouragement. I was reluctant to tackle this mod because I's never been mechanical inclined. Here are a couple of pics.

Nice job especially with the pipe spacer. All the DIYs I have seen just had two top bolts, one for each tank bracket. Really creative.

Congratulations, nice job. I guess you were more mechanically inclined than you thought!:small3d026:

Hey........ I really like the way your bike looks with that tank lift... Two thumb up from me...:D

Looks great and really quite ingenious. I am curious, did you close the open pipe spacer ends or have to use some RTV or adhesive to hold it in place while you were putting all the hardware in to keep it aligned? :)

Back