free website stats program Holy rusty fenders | Harley Davidson Forums

Holy rusty fenders

david26

Noticed a spot of rust on my 09 superglide on the bottom edge of my rear fender looked like a rock hit the under side and the rust worked it way all the way to the front side so I got out the supplies out and went to touch it up but after getting rid of the loose paint the little chip ended up being 2" long and 1/4" wide so sanded primered and started searching the rest of the bike and found that on the back of the front fender there is a little tiny hole that harley put there what it for I have no clue but around that hole there was a small floating paint bubble about the size of a dime a sure sign of rust under the paint. So once agian I got out the pocket knife and started chip the loose paint away that dime sized rust spot was actualy around the size of a silver dollor all still under the paint unnoticable unless u r lookin for it. I sanded and primered to kill and keep the rust away but instead of touching up I am prob going to tear the tank and fenders off when it gets warmer and paint. Been wanting to go flat black anyways. Thought I would give those of yall that live in hummid areas or ride in the rain the heads up to watch that little hole in the front fender I never would have seen it had I not gone looking for it

Noticed a spot of rust on my 09 superglide on the bottom edge of my rear fender looked like a rock hit the under side and the rust worked it way all the way to the front side so I got out the supplies out and went to touch it up but after getting rid of the loose paint the little chip ended up being 2" long and 1/4" wide so sanded primered and started searching the rest of the bike and found that on the back of the front fender there is a little tiny hole that harley put there what it for I have no clue but around that hole there was a small floating paint bubble about the size of a dime a sure sign of rust under the paint. So once agian I got out the pocket knife and started chip the loose paint away that dime sized rust spot was actualy around the size of a silver dollor all still under the paint unnoticable unless u r lookin for it. I sanded and primered to kill and keep the rust away but instead of touching up I am prob going to tear the tank and fenders of when it gets warmer and paint. Been wanting to go flat black anyways. Thought I would give those of yall that live in hummid areas or ride in the rain the heads up to what that little hole in the front fender I never would have seen it had I not gone looking for it

That pesky little hole is for a mud flap:s

I used the little hole to mount a fender extender it helps reduce the amount of water and dirt thrown up by the front wheele

Brian

Oh see I thought they put it there so your fender would rust out and they can charge u more for a new 1 or atleast give u less on your trade in cause u caught a case of the rust.

Yeah that too imagine that The MOCO planning for failure:newsmile100:

Jack, your a funny guy...thank you for the clarification...I thought the hole was for hanging up the fender so the future owner could paint it...now THAT would be H-D thinking ahead! :small3d026:

Jack, your a funny guy...thank you for the clarification...I thought the hole was for hanging up the fender so the future owner could paint it...now THAT would be H-D thinking ahead! :small3d026:

A little humor seems to go a long way now days:p

Sometimes just washing your scoot can cause rust - just got to be observant & take care of the spots when discovered...like david26.

Back