free website stats program Hole in the primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Hole in the primary

Ok, so I had the dealer install forward controls on the bike. Should they have put some kind of plug in the hole in the primary that the stock shift lever protruded from?

Some kits have a plug but a plug isn't necessary for anything other than looks. You can find chrome plugs at places like home depot.

Thanks, the bike got delivered to the house today and I was looking at pics that my wife sent me and noticed the hole. I appreciate the input.

Glider, Is is possible that water can go into that hole and slip into the primary oil since the cover gasket does not go around the seam between the Inner cover and the Outer cover.

I know when I did my SE compensator I noticed that on my FXDL cover. I was surprised to see the only "seal" was the short rubber hose before you place the shift lever on the shaft.

Glider, Is is possible that water can go into that hole and slip into the primary oil since the cover gasket does not go around the seam between the Inner cover and the Outer cover.

Hoop
There's a separate seal in between the inner and outer in that area that would keep water out of the primary. As long as it is intact, there shouldn't be any problems.

Your right. I now see that gasket in the exploded view in the parts manual.

I must have installed it without even thinking about it when I did the SE compensator. . (or at least I hope so!!)

I Know I did not replace that gasket with a new one which I should have done. That should be noted on the SE compensator instructions. That is an important gasket.

If the dealer did it, they should have put the cap on the hole anyway. I did it myself, new gloss black forward controls kit (for my 2006 Dyna). I am assuming you got a similar kit, which comes with the plugs. I suggest the dealer puts this on, just cleans up the look.

For me, I took the plug, scuffed it up and sprayed some HD wrinkle black paint on it to make it blend in. If you want a pic, just look at the pics on HD's site of the 2009 Dyna, it has the plug on it. You can tell cause you can still see some metal around it, as the plug does not fully cover the unpainted area around the hole.

Back