free website stats program High Idle at cold startup | Harley Davidson Forums

High Idle at cold startup

Tradervin

I just bought a new 2022 TriGlide 114 M8 motor December 8th 2022. When starting it cold it revs up to 2800 RPMs for a few seconds and then settles down to about 1000 RPM for a minute and then about 900 normal idle. The dealer checked it out and said they can't change this. The other trikes at the dealer do this also. On colder mornings it has hit 3000 RPM briefly. Guess I'm old school since I've been riding since 1979.
For a few seconds there is a lot of mechanical noise since there's no oil in the top end yet. My 2018 Ultra doesn't so this and never did. I tried cycling the ignition and kill switch on and off in different combinations to no avail. I bought the extended warranty so if there's an issue later Harley will have to deal with it. This is just an fyi for everyone out there. If anyone has been able to modify this, please let me know. Thanks.

Welcome to HDT from Alabama.
Sounds like it's not a 1 off if they all do it. If it becomes an issue down the road Harley will have to deal with it.

Welcome to the forum from Gulf Coast AL.
Agree with Jeff that if they all do it them it might be the norm. Like yourself I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my bike, it is peace of mind but it is additional $$ out your pocket, never had to use mine for any big issue.

Idle air control motor.
On automobiles.
Pre-programmed to open at shut down to cause lean condition to prevent dieseling and than it's already open for start up to make a fast idle. Like a choke fasr idle cam on a carb.
ECM then slowly closes the pintal on the motor bringing the RPM down .
We can , on a automobile, test its operating range by commands of 10% increments, as well as minimum, to test for stocking motors.
My thought is the maximum opening command should be 80% instead of 100%.
Or some of the earlier FI vehicles IAC motors we had to confirm and manually adjust the pintal before installing it.
Just a view from automotive side, I haven't done much on the Harley-Davidson side of service besides regular maintenance.

Welcome to the forum from Gulf Coast AL.
Agree with Jeff that if they all do it them it might be the norm. Like yourself I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my bike, it is peace of mind but it is additional $$ out your pocket, never had to use mine for any big issue.

Thanks for the reply. I had a 2010 Electra Glide with the extended warranty and got a new clutch assy since the splines on the clutch basket wore out. Paid 50.00 ded for a 2 grand job. It is peace of mind.

I haven't mentioned anything to the dealer since the above dates when I bought the Trike. Was told that's the way it is set up. The engine still revs up to 2800 rpm when cold on cooler days but not as much when it's warmer out or when it has been running and is warmed up. I do have the extended warranty if anything serious develops later. Otherwise, it runs fine.

Back