free website stats program High cost of communication | Harley Davidson Forums

High cost of communication

flipper

Account Removed
Here it is again..... that same ol' question about bike to bike communication. I have decided that I will go with the J&M CB 2003 for my '09 Heritage so I can talk to my husband on his '09 Ultra Classic (if we get separated on the road). What is surprising me is the cost: the CB is 299.99, the mounting bracket is 39.99, the hook up cord is 69.99, and I think I'll have to purchase another headset (already have one from the Harley store installed in my full face helmet), for my 3/4 helmet. That runs about 229.99. The antenna is 89.99. Now if someone sees that I'm buying something I don't need, please let me know. I have a question about antenna length: What is the difference in the reception from the 1,2,3, and 4 foot staff lengths? Any advice or suggestion is GREATLY appreciated.:newsmile093:

Flipper I think it's great you like to communicate with your husband on the road, my wife would just want louder pipes so she wouldn't have to listen me:) I guess that's why they have on and off switches. Anyways I'll leave you to the experts on bike to bike communication on the forum, have a great weekend.

That was funny Chopper!:laugh Actually, when we're riding, we would both rather NOT talk. We like to hear the bikes and enjoy the peace. If we're on a road trip though, and get separated, we need to be able to talk...... and QUICK. Ride safe. Love your bike!

Motorcycles have a small ground plane (surface area) which helps reflect the signal. The longer staff (antena) will give you a bit more range. With 3 ft you are probably looking at 3 to 5 miles. On a good day, you may get a bit more. In my opinion, you would not get a great deal more out of the 4 ft and it would be a little ungainly on a heritage.

Flipper; Not intending to be insulting, but you're talking $500+ to talk IF you get separated. You probably both have cell phones, agree on a time of loss of sight, pull over and call. Spend the $$$$ on a nice hotel room or CHROME. Unless Quick is a priority.

I have the JM cb radio on my Road King its a good unit and works well JM also stands behind their products and has great customer support, all the items you mentioned are necessary to make that unit work, Im sure the longer the antenna the better the reception however in the best of circumstances the range more reallistically is probaly one to two miles line of sight, also the JM unit though good is still second to the factory units installed on the ultras what I find is, and I wear a half helmet with the speakers installed at the helmet is that while traveling on the highways is difficult to hear with wind noise, in the city at lower speeds much better, they make full helmets with speakers installed in them which is probaly better than my set up if a full helmet doesnt bother you ,or possibly look into the ear buds fitted to your ear however another couple of hundred dollars whichever route you choose :newsmile093:having said all this I like the system and the ability to communicate between my wife and I while riding usually the conversations are informational like, next lite lets make a right or if something on the road is worth looking at or lets stop next exit etc, there was a situation once where I couldnt get to the right for the exit so I was seperated from our group in that case knowing we were in city limits I knew our range would be limited and restricted by buildings and such, so I got on the cb to let her know before I lost radio range as with traffic bearing down on you and in an area unfamiliar not sure how far the next exit will be to find a safe place and pull over and I would do the same and will contact her by cell phone IMO that day the unit paid for itself the other advantage for this unit to me was it enables me to add a satellite radio on my bike using the cb as the amplifier and the unit shuts the radio off when recieving and broadcasting and automatically returns back to the radio when thru like the factory installed units do, as to the cost of the equipment I kind of figure if I wanted communication and radio I would have had to spend the same or more for the radio on the ultra, and yes Ive been told why not just buy the ultra the fact is and hasnt changed as for my choice of wheels I like the Road King and its paid for!! for what I know about the equipment I think JM is the best out there, hope you find this helpful.

Flipper; Not intending to be insulting, but you're talking $500+ to talk IF you get separated. You probably both have cell phones, agree on a time of loss of sight, pull over and call. Spend the $$$$ on a nice hotel room or CHROME. Unless Quick is a priority.

Flipper; My reply was not in accordance with your request. You asked about specifics of bike to bike communication and range, and I inserted my opinion of spending that kind of money to communicate. Please disregard my impulsive thoughts. :newsmile011:

Back