free website stats program Hidden Antenna's | Harley Davidson Forums

Hidden Antenna's

dlfidler

Hi fellow riders I have removed the tourpak whip antenna's on my 08 ultra classic, much clean look. The problem I have is I installed Kuryakyn Hidden Antenna Tune Trapper under the fairing, the antenna is junk, terrible reception. Does anyone have expereince with J & M Flexpower AM/FM/WB IN-Fairing antenna or a solution for better reception. Thanks

a solution for better reception.

I don't have any experience with your issue directly, but I can say you will be hard pressed to find better performance than a vertical whip. It is just the nature of FM radio transmission. You may get lucky but I would bet everything from a whip will be a compromise.

I don't have a radio or a need for an antenna, but I do like the look of the dual whips on a Cruisers.
What's the downside of having whips on the back?

Steve's reasons are all very good ones, add a fourth...long term reliability and cost. Vehicles now have them hidden...Why have something that can be vandalized or broken if it can be hidden out of the way and not bothered with for the life of the vehicle? Most modern vehicles use hidden antennas for that reason and because it is cheaper in the long run to design something in at the point of use, rather then to have someone physically place and install it where it is exposed to the elements.

The reason I removed the whip antenna's was I thought the bike looked like a remote controlled bike also I liked the cleaner look.:D

Haven't heard many good reviews on hidden antennas...swapped my stock w/HD's shorty & it seems to work fine. There probably are decent hidden models on the market, but for a co$t...

The reason I removed the whip antenna's was I thought the bike looked like a remote controlled bike :D

I don't know why but I think the "remote control" look, is so cool. If I had a bagger I would have Quad Yagi's on it.!:)

Year's & Year's ago, the Hyway Patrol where I lived almost would compete who could have the most antenna's on their Patrol car. This one Trooper that use to run in my area must of had 8 antenna's on his car, 2 of which were 7' whips. This guy was over the top but I loved it when I saw him go by.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I just got a 2 or 3 foot long, T-shaped, powered antenna at an auto supply store. Spliced it into the lighter for power, zip tied it in place in the fairing and it works great. I don't have the CB though - just AM/FM which is fine with me.

Back