free website stats program Hibernation | Harley Davidson Forums

Hibernation

Rapedape

Banned
I winterized my bike today. Having only had this bike for so short a time and not gettin' much time in the saddle.....Well lets just say it's gona' be a looooong winter. With frost on the ground nearly every morning now, it only means the snow is soon to come.:(:CANADA

I winterized my bike today. Having only had this bike for so short a time and not gettin' much time in the saddle.....Well lets just say it's gona' be a looooong winter. With frost on the ground nearly every morning now, it only means the snow is soon to come.:(:CANADA

Wow, I guess it is about your level of cold weather toleration. I'm no expert on Canadian weather patterns. Now here in Indiana, Presently to me it is just right....Some heavey riding gear in the morning and as the morning warms up take it off and it is a beautiful thing...In the evening late put your gear back on for comfort etc.

Now last year I bought the HD heated gloves and jacket liner. Hence I will extend my riding season. However...after we get an Indiana snow and the hi way department puts down salt. It leaved a salty residue....Hence if you ride and get that residue on your bike...then when you put your bike in a unheated garage, eventually you are going to get condensation on your bike exteriors. This prior mentioned condensation mixing the salt residue will really eat away at your bike....particuarly chrome parts and alloy wheels. So with all of that being said...even if it is cold and I have my heated gear, I will not ride and expose my bike to that residue....It is time for the cage then.

The point I'm making is this....If you ride in cold weather and get the salt residue on your Harley...get it WASHED OFF GOOD before you store it...or it could come back to haunt you later. I found this out many moons ago when I was a rookie.

Now if it is an old rat bike then you want to ride in the residue and it will help your bike look...more ratty. But for a gent like me that is kind of "vane", and I like my bike to look nice and shiny...most of the time. I respect the salt residue, to the hilt.

Oh one more thing. When riding at below 32 degrees. Even if it is dry out...beware of an icy patch.....on the street or road.

ture but don't take life to seriously you never get out of it alive anyway :)

I don't know about you guys down south, but us guys in the north stop riding when there's frost down,and your right never take too seriously. Just be smart about it or it can be over in a flash.:)

Down here in the south (Memphis) we usually don't get frost untill late December and May or may not get snow and I too will not take the chance but until then I plan on riding the wheels off of her.

Im originally from northern wisconsin only hours from ontario. Fall is the shortest season of the year. you wake up one day and its full blown winter. gotta start gettin things squared away early. down here in illinois it not so bad but time is short. rite now is perfect though i love puttin on the leathers and gloves and ridin in the fall trees. The only problem now is with the cool nites the deer are on the run. my buddy hit one 3 years ago and suffered head trauma. he came through all rite but that will stick in my head forever. so please everyone be careful.

I don't know about you guys down south, but us guys in the north stop riding when there's frost down,and your right never take too seriously. Just be smart about it or it can be over in a flash.:)

The weather was fantastic this weekend in Southern Ontario. Put on a little over 700 KM and no plans yet to park my ride for the winter.

Back